Disney World's Star Wars dinner theater struggles to succeed

Seems like an accurate simulation to me.
If you’re foolish enough to give your clients windows, odds are that sooner or later one of them will open the window into the airless void of open space.

5 Likes

bots

3 Likes

So like, how much is that in Imperial Credits, anyway?

3 Likes

You’re hired!

2 Likes

That’s possible, but I understand why they chose to do the first one in Orlando. The visitors to Disneyland Anaheim are much more weighed towards day trippers and locals who don’t stay in hotels. In Disney World there are over 37,000 (!) hotel rooms on property, so only a very small portion of visitors would need to decide to stay in the 100-room Galactic Starcruiser in order for it to remain fully booked. That prospect probably sounded very plausible on paper to the executives. That would only be about 0.27% of the guests who pony up to stay on property.

3 Likes

Funny story: Almost was hired for this project, then all Disney parks around the world closed due to a pandemic…

Anaheim is a local park, but making something that required even the locals to stay two nights is certainly net positive.

I speculate on one (of many!) contributing reasons why not: City of Anaheim caps the number of hotel rooms Disney can have. To have Star Cruiser in Anaheim, Disney would have to remove a number of existing hotel room stock or convince the city to add more to the allotment.

Michael Eisner made that mistake big time when they first opened Disney California Adventure and turned the “Park” into a “Resort.” They specifically did not offer park-hopper tickets or discounts if you wanted to visit both parks in one day because the intent was to force you to spend two days on property if you wanted to experience everything. It was a big mess and misunderstood the nature of the locals who were a huge portion of Disneyland’s visitors, and they soon had to start adding various discounts to lure people back.

Famously, the site for Disneyland was carefully chosen after a lot of research (look up Buzz Price) specifically because it’s within a reasonable driving distance of several major population centers. I don’t think that forcing locals to spend the night is a winning strategy.

4 Likes

… as we all know, there are no real spaceships involved, no actual “cruising” to do—it’s a two-day lockdown, two days sheltering-in-place, it’s like signing up to be contestants on Big Brother but without getting on TV and with no prizes to win

1 Like

Oh heck no. I grew up in SoCal and I’ve been to Disneyland more times than I can remember but if the only way to see everything the park has to offer was to drop thousands of dollars on an overpriced hotel I’d just go to Knott’s Berry Farm or Six Flags Magic Mountain or one of the many other available options for entertainment.

5 Likes
1 Like

I still hope to go to Magic Mountain someday.

1 Like

What’s the going rate for a really good 1 hour escape room?

Perhaps upcharge from that a little bit, since it includes food and some entertainment shows too.

Now, do 22 of those in sequence all at one time, at that price. 1:00 PM - 10:00 PM first day, 8:00 AM to 9:00 PM second day. Ignoring the room and breakfast on the third day.

At $222-$272 for a group, which could be $111 - $68 per person per hour, it certainly feels expensive. Most people don’t typically do 22 escape rooms in a row. Some would find horror at doing more than 1 or even just 1.

If it was more like $100-$150 an hour for the group, somewhere in the $2,200 - $3,300 range, there would be a lot more people. Even my kids saw the current price and said “nope”.

I’ve seen people make a table service reservation for every day on a trip, at $100-$200 per person. Spending $500-$600 on dinner for four, every night. Add in a moderately fancy lunch at $50 per person, there’s another $200-$300 dollars. Some people spend money on the trip like it’s from a free flowing river. Something in the $3,000 range for the 40 hours of cruise time could be a bargain for them.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.