Disney's Captain Marvel accidentally puts out an ad with a phone sex hotline number

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/08/disneys-captain-marvel-accid.html

3 Likes

So wait, what number do I press for interesting and exciting ladies? 'Cuz, for a phone chat that seems more important (and verifiable…)

7 Likes

This happens a lot. It happened at a company I used to work for for their support line, which they forgot to re-register. The same day it expired the sex line people snagged it.

It got fixed the next day. But you cannot believe how the sex line people bring their A game every day. Imagine if they spent that effort on curing cancer or something.

16 Likes

Where’s the number in that shot? I feel like I’m playing Where’s Waldo, but for dirty talk.

8 Likes

On the phone. Just under the large blue bar with the “25 cents” is a black bar with the number.

2 Likes

Since they aren’t scientists, I’m guessing that effort would be wasted trying to cure cancer. Unless you are working from the million monkeys hypothesis, in which case there might be a single cure buried in a whole bunch of stuff that would kill you.

Also, Photoshopped or just a prop from one of those shows that they forgot to remove the number from? Photoshopping it tells me some effort went into it to include that specific number, and if they did that without checking the number, they are drones.

1 Like

A fair amount of sex-line workers are actually students, so…they do?

5 Likes

It’s hard for a superhero to make a living in the real world if you’re not a billionaire industrialist or a Prince of Asgard.

7 Likes

I’m more interested in the fact that pressing 2 gets you into a free conversation, while pressing 1 appears not to.

4 Likes

We have often had this sort of slip up with email CTA’s being a phone number and someone makes a typo. One of our review procedures is of course “call the number”

A phone sex line? Wow, Marvel is really going all out to keep this thing on-brand for the 1990s.

7 Likes

Just my luck, I called it and nobody answered.

2 Likes

My thought exactly: so that’s what a pay phone looked like!

1 Like

Maybe pressing 2 connects lady callers to guys that paid to press 1. Damn gig economy is everywhere these days.

5 Likes

People could read that? That’s surprising since Twitter does such a terrible job handling images. Most of the time I swear it tries to make it as small as possible.

1 Like

Toronto still has them. I even see people use them. Sometimes even non-sketchy people.

There was one basically outside my door until recently. I went to an appointment, and there was a middle-aged guy yelling at what I think was his son. I came back an hour and a half later, and he was still yelling.

3 Likes

Billy Batson is agog…

2 Likes

I think on a payphone, 1.5 hours would cost your entire year’s wages. So maybe the phone is there, but the line is not hooked to anything?

1 Like

Property prices in Asgard have taken a bit of a tumble recently.

1 Like

I recognised your voice and was too embarrassed to reply; sorry.

2 Likes