Divas in Drag's amazing 'Ride of the Valkryies"

Originally published at: Divas in Drag's amazing 'Ride of the Valkryies" | Boing Boing

1 Like

16 Likes

That was fun, thankee (“But Valkyries do not ride @#$n side-saddle!” …yet, vide-supra Bugs!)

2 Likes

That’s awesome!

I had to go look up how opera’s actually put on this scene because I hadn’t ever seen it done. Flying horses are definitely a stunt for set design/stage handling.

Better than helicopters and napalm at any rate.

2 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0pjeYx2PkU

This is what the Metropolitan Opera in NY does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeRwBiu4wfQ

7 Likes

Ooooh, very nice. I like Wagner, but also have a sense of humour, so this sort of hit my sweet spot. Couldn’t wipe the grin from my face. The set design and costumes are reminiscent of 19th century engravings while the cinematic trickery has the feel of Georges Meliès films from the early 20th century.

5 Likes

One year, the production at the Lyric in Chicago had a row of trampolines all the way at the back of the stage, hidden by set pieces in front, and young gymnasts flew through the air in a choreographed way while the opera singers were singing at the front of the stage.

At one point, one little girl slipped on her landing and the entire audience gasped. She was fine, but it definitely broke the spell.

3 Likes

yeah [!] Really

Yup, I always hear Fudd singing, “Kill de wabbit, kill de wabbit…”

6 Likes

I would have sworn this was either a “Hasty Pudding Club” or “Ryan Landry and the Gold Dust Orphans” production. So very Bostonian.

1 Like

“Oh, Bwunhilda I wuv you…”

I’m quite surprised to find out how pedestrian the lyrics are to this bombastic tune.

3 Likes

“Oh mighty warrior of great fighting stahhhk
May I inquire to ask, eh… what’s up doc”

“Oh Bruhnhiwda you’re so wuvwy”
“Yes I knoow it I can’t helllp it”

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.