Divorce rate in Maine linked with per capita consumption of margarine

I can believe it’s not butter, and that is why this is just not working out between us.

1 Like

This goes to prove what I’ve always known, margarine eaters are untrustworthy louts who will cheat on you with a tub of dime-store frosting at the earliest opportunity. Get on the butter train! Next stop: FLAVORTOWN.

1 Like

This is one of those things which the graph makes track so well that it may not be causation but still correlated. When I catch a cold I may have a cough and nausea, neither causes the other, the virus causes both, but the symptoms mostly bell curve together.
I would suspect that for most people margarine is only purchased as a substitute for butter when butter can’t be afforded, without the hidden graph of of dropping butter consumption we wouldn’t know that Allan lost his job and Barbara is getting pissed carrying all of the weight while he sits and watches TV. Allan and Barbra still need something to spread on their toast during those tense mornings at the breakfast table while they consider their escape options.
Thanks business school…

1 Like

Butter’s in the fridge. Go get it!

Funny story… last night I wanted butter on my rice (yes, normally a bit of a travesty, and could easily cost me my kama‘aina status) but we were out. I know, I know, civilized people don’t run out of butter; but we did.

So I tried some coconut oil on my rice instead. Not only was it quite weird to be eating our preferred sex lube, but I then had to explain the joke I made on BoingBoing to my wife so she would understand why it was so damn funny that I was actually using coconut oil at the dinner table (instead of just the bedroom or the wok).

TL;DR: used coconut oil instead of butter or margarine, not divorced yet.

1 Like

This isn’t correlation, it’s synchronicity!

Granted I’m an N of 1, but I certainly prefer margarine, probably because I grew up with it.

That is to say, my parental units selected it. Despite the promise of upward mobility in this great nation, there is a pretty good correlation between one’s income and the income of one’s parents (Planet Money). As luck would have it, they were sorta poor and so too am I. So the assertion that lower income predicts margarine still holds, even though it’s not causative.

tl;dr: had my parents eaten more butter, they too would have coughed me to B-school.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.