DIY double-decker RV angering neighbors in Seattle

Originally published at: DIY double-decker RV angering neighbors in Seattle | Boing Boing

3 Likes

meanwhile in Putnam County NY, I can’t legally keep an RV on my property while I’m building a house…

43 Likes

Here in Sacramento, there’s an anti-camping ordinance that is preventing my friends who are building their own home on their own land from staying on the property. They have to rent a home nearby.

Of course, anti-camping usually just means anti-homeless.

51 Likes

On the one hand, good for them.

On the other hand, there is no way that thing is safe. The RV was not designed to support the weight of a second story structure on it without serious reinforcement. I’d be worried about it collapsing in a high wind.

Plus, it’s parked on the street.

40 Likes

I bet that thing corners like a dream

37 Likes

And of course there’s no way that thing is street legal. So ticket it with a safety inspection/repair order. In general motor vehicles are more regulated that houses are.

25 Likes

We feel like they have more rights than us.

Gee - sell your house, buy a shitty RV to live in and see how much free-er you are. :confused:

47 Likes

Or anti camping meand, “if you are a tourist, we are going to siphon from you all the moey we can, so you have to park in an official camping and pay a lot”. But sacramento isn’t Venice Beach.

6 Likes

Holy shit, what a lack of concern over this clearly desperate move. Instead it’s: “hey, that homeless person is making me feel oppressed!”. Makes my skin crawl.

29 Likes

neighbor Lane Imbler-Bremner told KOMO News. “We feel like they have more rights than us.”

Like the right to live in a mobile home, while you live in a permanent dwelling with plumbing and no stigma attached to it?

22 Likes

“We feel like they have more rights than us. I mean to go up on our house (to add a story) we would have to have several permits.”

There’s the crux of the complaint. Someone is getting to do something you can’t. And that someone is less well-off than you, so for sure they should be able to do something you can’t.

34 Likes

I lived in an RV for three years while I went to grad school in Berkeley. It wasn’t a picnic, but it was the most affordable option. I was in a little RV park in El Cerrito that isn’t there anymore, alas.

Anyway, this looks dangerous to me. An RV isn’t the most stable structure to begin with. I have to feel, though, that even without the 2nd story, the neighbors wouldn’t be thrilled.

22 Likes

I feel like if the neighbors were really all that concerned, they’d have offered to help with the carpentry.

16 Likes

Local news has a talent for finding the biggest idiot to get their pull-quote from:

“We’re worried that maybe it’s going to fall down,” neighbor Lane Imbler-Bremner told KOMO News. “We feel like they have more rights than us. I mean to go up on our house (to add a story) we would have to have several permits.”

Just stop talking after being worried about it falling down! Jesus Christ, there’s plenty to be concerned about here, but the relative availability of “rights” and complaining about having to get permits for your own home improvements… your brain worms are showing.

21 Likes

I’d really like to see it pull away from the curb with the second story intact, and then possibly shoot down the freeway, with me watching from a safe distance.

16 Likes

Yeah: any of those dreams in Inception, where the dreamer is freefalling off a bridge.

10 Likes

I suspect they’re just tr0lling the NIMBYs and making a statement about housing affordability at this point. It’s too bad they’re endangering their own safety if they’re actually using that “second storey”.

I give it two weeks before you see a whole bunch of these RV “additions” popping up in California, where the housing situation is worse.

10 Likes

Good point!

stay-out-of-malibu

So very true.

8 Likes

One of those ones where you’re trying to scream but it just comes out as a whisper?

11 Likes

Does Seattle not have an ordinance about the length of time a vehicle can be parked in one spot on a public street? Most places where I’ve lived will ticket you if you’re parked for over 3 days in one spot on the street. I think that’s to prevent people from leaving their junkers parked on the street ad infinitum, basically privatizing a public space.

6 Likes