DIY double-decker RV angering neighbors in Seattle

Solving that problem the San Diego way is becoming quite popular.

https://www.sandiego.gov/parking/permits/torvp

4 Likes

And straight through the 11’8" bridge.

26 Likes

When I lived in Seattle that was the case, at least in my neighborhood. Enforcement was a bit “selective” though.

3 Likes

Seattle did have length of time vehicle parking rules, but because of the pandemic it was suspended.

Economic injustice will understandably dominate the comments here; as likely it should. It is yet possibly one manifestation of nearly the most complicated social issues of our time. For instance there are some real risks, unless addressed, for a return of some of the “19th century” health issues associated with poor sanitation (typhoid, cholera, dysentery…) Currently the Seattle city council finds itself overwhelmed in this area (…and nearly all others). -sigh-

10 Likes

Anti-homelessness ordinances serve nothing but to throw away our public spaces to spite those too poor to live anywhere else.

18 Likes

One of my favorite TG episodes, for sure.

16 Likes

I used to live in Ballard. It has been gentrified in the 13 years since I was there, pushing people further south or north of the city in search of non-existent affordable housing. Seattle is one of the capitals of NIMBY thinking.

Eat the rich.

20 Likes

There’s no way that’s actually drivable, now, which means it’s no longer a motor vehicle parked on the street, but a structure placed there. Which, I imagine, is covered by ordinances…

Can’t even keep an RV on the street here.

Already have non-functional RVs parked in yards being rented out as housing in my neighborhood.

10 Likes

I have to wonder how far they’d be able to drive that thing before they ran into some utility lines. Surely it would be safer and probably less illegal if they’d just added a platform on top of the RV that could support a heavy-duty tent.

11 Likes

You’ve clearly not dealt with Seattle’s building code enforcement.

This cannot be understated. RV construction is very flimsy, even compared to lightweight cars (there are also no safety standards or crash tests for RVs – presumably because they’re not meant to be daily drivers). The living space is pretty much just plywood. There’s no metal frame to speak of, no roll cage. It’s a plywood box on wheels. It keeps costs and weight down, but it’s totally unsuitable for supporting a second story.

10 Likes

I was just wondering if Jeremy Clarkson was around the corner.

Not that he would be seen dead in an RV, mind.

5 Likes

I’m sure it’s much like what we are dealing with in Portland. To get a permit for a gut remodel of a 1923 bungalow cost over $40k and required waiting over 5 months (five years ago).

We finally received the permit when we paid the truly infuriating bribe – er, special expediting fee. Otherwise we’d still be waiting behind all the other people who could afford the extra. Talk about inequality!

4 Likes

I’m sure Mr. Winnebago just got a permit for an ADU.

I, personally, am hoping for the Truck Eating Bridge.

Which - get this - I found out we locally have one!

https://twitter.com/missouribridge?s=21&fbclid=IwAR0xpCvz6z5IMowTyyLrSFvvVJzJYHvSdZ7hB69CA4FcVUVGPNY9FlLJQ84

Though I am guessing, like many “mobile” homes, they don’t move it around.

1 Like

I always find places with expensive permits for single family homes weird. In Chicago that permit would cost ~$1.2-2k and take anywhere from 2 weeks (self certified) or 3 months (full city review).

Extra fuel for the meth fires.

3 Likes

Ballard? Hipster? More of a “yoga pants, Patagonia and goldendoodles” vibe.

edit: Also KOMO is Sinclair trash. Don’t give them clicks.

3 Likes

I’d have 2 questions:

1. How close is this to the “neighbors”? If for instance, they parked the thing in front of someone’s house and spread their things out into the homeowner’s yard, then the homeowner would certainly have a valid complaint. Likewise if they are discharging sewage onto the street. However, from the video and pictures, they appear to be parked next to some business. (or perhaps the “neighbor” is the business owner upset about the impact the structure in front of his building is having on his business)

2. Given that housing is damn-fucking expensive in a lot of places, and something a lot of workers will simply not be able to afford at the pay-rates available, this sort of “make-do” housing is inevitable. There’s a long-long history of people living a sort of nomadic life in make-shift housing such as this. (a winnibego is at least something designed to be lived in, even if only for brief periods). Is there no way the city could find a way to accommodate people with this sort of need? Designate some parking-lots (or vacant lot locations) for these sorts of things? Perhaps arrange for the ability for sewer hook-ups and electrical hookups?

2 Likes

It was funkier and more hipster 10 years ago when the staff were there last.

2 Likes