DIY double-decker RV angering neighbors in Seattle

1. In seattle, that modified winnebago would go on redfin for about 1.8 million dollars, housing prices are so inflated. It’s like fantasy land. All the private capital firms keep buying up all the housing at asking price with cash.

2. No, there’s literally nowhere in the densely built up, urbanized environment to accomodate this kind of thing. It’d have to be outside the city. Frankly I’m seeing tents in places I’d have thought impossible. There’s no room, and the only stuff for sale is priced for bezos and gates. Then getting sold to foreign investment banks, who trade it back and forth between themselves.

8 Likes

It’s not just Seattle - the entire metro area is just batshit crazy. Like anything within 10 miles of where I live is like over $700/sq ft and even at those prices there’s still bidding wars going on. There’s really low inventory combined with high demand.

I was hoping remote work driven by COVID might help but if anything it’s making things worse because people want to move to bigger places since they are spending so much time at home (versus moving out of the area).

I’d love to move to a home with more space but it’s just not possible given the current situation. I feel totally priced out. Even rents are out of control. I don’t know how people are able to afford it.

It’s no surprise people are going for solutions like this around here.

7 Likes

Maybe if it just looked a little better…

23 Likes

Commercially, you just have to pay to get permission to use a building that is zoned for an allowed use, with no changes, to use it in a permitted way or you get massive fines and possible evicted. I was happy to pay something like 6k to change nothing. :speak_no_evil: No complaints here…

Look, I didn’t care for their tone either, but have you priced 2-story RVs lately? It’s crazy!

7 Likes

I live in Edmonds. My brother and his wife just bought their first house in Mukilteo for $1.1m, and it’s less than 2000sqft and was built in 1968.

4 Likes

I have never pulled a permit for ANY interior project. Or any project in my backyard either.

2 Likes

This is how the teetering stacks of RVs and shipping containers from Ready Player One begin, and I am here for it.

6 Likes

It’s all fun and games until you are scrambling for a place to empty the chemical toilets without getting a ticket.

5 Likes

Neither did I or the prior owner of my house. Yet when it came out one to sell it, the town suddenly remembered the importance of such things. I had to get three of them to cover work done 5 years before I bought the place.

1 Like

7 Likes

Sailor Grrl agrees with what you just said

7 Likes

We just picked up a sweet half story RV and we can’t wait to hit the road. In fact, we’re heading for our favorite scenic spot first thing in the morning!

4 Likes

Also, rights aren’t a zero sum game

7 Likes

Well, if this is allowed, presumably they can also add a second storey to their RV. I’ve seen this argument before in the context of a driver wanting to park in a cycle lane grumbling that cyclists have more rights than him. All he had to to do use the cycle lane was to be on a bike, just like the rest of us.

10 Likes

ShamefulRipeLeafbird-max-1mb

4 Likes

I don’t like the way the KOMO news reporter seems to be mocking the person living in the RV. What’s the purpose of this news piece anyway? Is this helpful reporting? Why not report on growing wealth inequality and societal failures to provide for adequate opportunities for living wage jobs (free of discrimination and harassment) affordable housing, universal health care (including mental health and drug abuse treatment) instead?

8 Likes

KOMO is a sinclair affiliate. They have no journalistic standards. They’re just another propaganda arm

8 Likes

Permit free remodel; you are a go at this station (errr, bridge?).

3 Likes