DIY: Video game cartridges laser-carved in wood

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/07/diy-video-game-cartridges-las.html

4 Likes

Those Spyro the Dragon ones are amazing.

3 Likes

To anyone wondering why there are screws in the back, they’re all designed to hold a Raspberry Pi Zero.

9 Likes

Ahhhh, ok. That was bugging me. I was thinking, “Surely these aren’t actual carts with new wood cases. They don’t look like they’d fit, for one.” But I couldn’t understand the obvious screws and hole in the bottom if they were just empty mock cartridges.

1 Like

Those pieces are great. I particularly like the Soul reaver one.

1 Like

Just a minor nitpick, but why is this DIY? This is great art, and wonderful, but the guy is a real craftsman and not just some “oh, I’ll just make my own stuff” sort of dude.

3 Likes

He did it himself?

Well, then any work of art done by a craftsman is then DIY, so that just dilutes the term. :face_with_monocle:

Really, I just would like DIY to be stuff that inspires us to do it ourselves as well, or to admire how some other happy mutants managed to make things that they otherwise would have purchased (or al least needed a professional to do). This is a showcase of cool and artistic Raspberry Pi cases made by an artist.

3 Likes

Did American PS1 releases use standard CD jewel cases? For some reason that makes me really sad, coz they look janky hella quick and the manuals always get torn up in the insert clips.

In the UK we had these big chunky plastic cases that seem to hold up a lot better. Double and triple-disc games used double jewel-cases at first but about halfway through switched to the PS cases, but mounted discs on front and back.

1 Like

Early PSX releases in the US came in these huge, empty, wasteful plastic clamshells that were closer to a VHS box than a CD one. Very quickly after that, though, the switch was made to jewel cases that were cheaper to manufacture, wasted fewer materials, and fit better in users’ extant CD storage.

1 Like

I agree. DIY connotes “…and so can you!” In this case, “Custom” or “hand-crafted” would probably work better.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.