Do not lure deer into your home to feed them, Colorado authorities plead

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/11/oh-deer.html

4 Likes

On the one hand, c’mon folks. On the other hand, humankind has domesticated animals before…given the tense and ever-more-entangling situation of territory between deer and humans, I could imagine worse outcomes than total domestication.

5 Likes

How are we supposed to have domesitcated house deer, 10 thousand years? What if kill joys had said the same thing when wolves came around originally? could you imagine life with out dogs? I keed mostly.

6 Likes

I guess I should read the comments before posting. Obvious hot take is obvious I guess.

3 Likes

I think the major difference there is you can’t housebreak or box train a deer. They will just poop everywhere. Meaning you can’t keep them in your home. Domestication is always going to be limited to livestock.

In Nara Japan, there is a temple which has herds of deer roaming around in semi-domestication.

10 Likes

4ca1bb42c168f158b1fd1afb632d5d644d2a0aca_2_405x500

37 Likes

just leave deer and all other wildlife alone.

But how else are they going to bolster their Instagram/Facebook/Twitter presence?

She had also appeared to talk to a couple does as they stood in her home, calling them Sandy and McKenzie.

#wypipo…Ugh.

11 Likes
5 Likes

Ok, I won’t lure them inside to feed them.

Can I still lure them inside so I can feed on them?

5 Likes

Are you talking about the deer or the people?

6 Likes

8 Likes

I got a couple of mynas that poop all over the house. They only get away with it because they tell me how smart/handsome I am. Who knows after 10,000 years maybe the deer will be smaller and smarter and more amenable to training? Or the humans will be more amenable to deer poop. I dunno.

2 Likes

Leave the deer where they belong: in the McDonald’s parking lot.

10 Likes

I think you mean domestication of livestock will be limited. After all, you can’t housebreak a horse or cow, as far as I’ve ever heard. Also, hooves are really hard on floors. So to speak.

1 Like

I was not clear. My bad. Meaning deer won’t be domesticated as household pets you keep inside. Like dogs, cats and mynah birds. But domesticated as livestock you keep in a barn or in a pasture.

2 Likes

In some Texas neighborhoods you have conflict where people attract the deer to watch them and others are mad because they eat their flowers. Here in the Sierra foothills no one feeds the deer because they attract mountain lions.

5 Likes

I put bird seed in our outdoor feeder the other day and one of those litter fuckers pooped on me! I said thank you, and further told them that I’ll be sure to refill tomorrow.

1 Like

great minds think alike

1 Like

Is luring them into my home to feed on them ok?

3 Likes

I think you can housebreak those small miniature horses. They are used as service animals.

2 Likes