Do you have trouble with shells sticking to your boiled eggs? Here's the fix

I want to see the chicken that produces those.

8 Likes

2 words. Instant. Pot.

Made the same way as square watermelons. The egg is grown in a mold. The hens complain a bit, of course, until they get used to it

8 Likes

2 words. Cadbury Creme Eggs.

Wait. What?

8 Likes

Hard boiled? No way, soft boiled here all the way, on some good toast with a little butter mixed in.

6 Likes

set in cold water. bring to boil. turn off heat, let sit covered for 15 minutes. transplant to ice water for 10 minutes. crack bottom of egg and place spoon under membrane and remove shell.

works with fresh eggs, works with elder eggs (better).

no other version has worked as consistently well for me.

1 Like

Dunking in ice water will not make them easier to peel. What it actually does, is prevent that green coating around the yolk that many people don’t like. Also, the eggs are ready to eat sooner.

4 Likes

This is it, exactly, and not just because I’m named Colin: Boil the water first, drop the refrigerated eggs in quickly, cook for 15 minutes, and shock them with cold water. I’ve been doing it this way for years, and it’s eliminated 99% of my peeling problems.

3 Likes

I bring a pot of water to a boil, then cut off the heat, then add the eggs for 5-6 minutes for soft boiled, 8-9 for medium, and around 15 for hard boiled. Added bonus: no green ring around the yolk for a hard boiled egg, and it’s easy to peel the shell off.

Soak them in vinegar for 24 hours.

7 Likes

I can give this method a thumbs-up. I used my pasta pot with the colander sleeve. I brought the water to a boil, then put the eggs in the colander and put it in the pot. Using the colander made it easy to add and remove all the eggs at the same time, so they were all cooked for exactly the same time. Once the water reached boiling again, I turned off the heat and covered the pot. After the eggs had been in the water for 13 minutes, I pulled out the colander and transferred the eggs to a bowl of ice water for 6 minutes.

When I peeled them, the membrane came away easily from the egg. I’ll be using this method in the future.

Folks, this is cool, but properly peeling boiled eggs is as simple as immediately immersering boiled eggs them into ice cold water. Water + ice + eggs = happy peeling! Try it, guaranteed to work!

As someone with hens, I can attest to the truth of this. The only time I ever complain about fresh eggs is when I boil them.

1 Like

Make a hole in both ends of the eggs. Blow the contents out into an icecube tray. Freeze. Throw the eggcubes into boiling bacon fat or lard. No peeling needed!

Except by the burn unit doctors when they debride your face.

8 Likes

I find leaving them in cold water for 10 mins before peeling works, and being not as fresh works too.

@ActionAbe

CrazyRussianHacker ain’t too smart, but he’s full of ideas.

I’m guessing the reason alcohol “cooks” an egg is because it denatures the proteins in the egg, and dehydrates them from a liquidy-solution with a bunch of water all over, into a matted clot. No water between the long proteins means they don’t glide, and stick instead?

Damn, now I’m starting to think, I’m in the same boat as CrazyRussianHacker. But I think you may have a better explanation.

5 Likes

you’re an experienced boinger - you automagically skipped the “why?” step

4 Likes

Did I get this from BB? Maybe.

One weird trick:

Boil the egg. Cool it a bit if you must. Put it into a glass of water and vigorously shake it round (clearly with your hand over the open end of the glass).

The egg peels itself.

2 Likes

So an eggviche? Acids seem to work for softening the shell, maybe they could “cook” the egg too.

ETA Figures a Russian would immediately go for an alcohol-based solution.

2 Likes

The guy was dumb. He didn’t understand how sick a little isopropyl can make a person. He tested both 99% isopropyl alcohol, and 70-odd percent isopropyl alcohol. Let it soak for maybe an hour, and tried to take a bite of the 99% iso-cooked egg and instantly spat it out.

Stupid and lucky.

3 Likes