Doctor guilty of raping heavily sedated patient in hospital gets no prison time

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/20/doctor-guilty-of-raping-heavil.html

7 Likes

Do we any longer even consider Texas as part of the civilized world?

18 Likes

We have enclaves of logic and civility…at least we aren’t Florida

3 Likes

I understand the issue of the judge’s hands being tied here. I also understand why it may have taken so long to bring this to trial in the first place. But once it was there…who the hell are those 12 jurors who decided NO PRISON time?!

19 Likes

Texans.

I overhear conversations like this all the time when I go to Texas for work:

Man1: End times a comin’
Man2: You are correct

10 Likes

That’s what I was thinking. Not one person on the jury thought this guy deserved to be in prison? Just too weird.

7 Likes

Ah, the exceedingly low bar the rest of the country is so so grateful for.

7 Likes

In court, Sheikh insisted that the sex had been consensual.

I don’t think that word means what you think it means. Is there something wrong with American dictionaries? This seems to keep coming up

11 Likes

Everything is bigger in Texas. Including bad jury decisions.

4 Likes

So merely getting caught is somehow punishment enough???

I’m sorry, but consideration of a rapist’s feelings or his “dreams” for a future should never be a factor in sentencing. Yet we hear about this time and again. Grrrr

24 Likes

When I close my eyes, I picture the US as a moral and ethical archipelago; regions governed by ideas and rules that I understand are scattered far and wide, surrounded by vast tracts of land where those ideas have mutated into something unrecognizable and perverse.

Texas seems to be headed for something like this:

5 Likes

I’m not sure that a jury of his peers legally means that he gets a jury of rape apologists.

36 Likes

Maybe he was a football star in high school?

8 Likes

One would think that racism alone would have been enough for a Texas jury to put a man of South Asian descent away. I guess misogyny won out instead.

20 Likes

So, this guy has sex and gets no prison, but -
https://www.npr.org/2018/08/20/640103324/man-who-sexually-assaulted-airline-passenger-convicted-could-face-life-in-prison

3 Likes

It usually does.

15 Likes

Always read the fine print…

So when Beto O’Rourke beats Ted Cruz in the current Senate race, you’re going to spit on him for being from Texas?
Pindejos.
By the way, the current Harris County DA is a Democrat named Kim Ogg. If I had been on the jury, I would have given the doc ten years at least, but according to the story in the Houston Chronicle, the victim was a stripper with breast implants. Somehow the jury thought this meant probation. Joining other juries & judges with their heads up their anuses:

8 Likes

Gaaaah, that last bit. His children wouldn’t be serving his ‘sentence’ with him if he was in fucking jail, would they?

7 Likes

Unless it’s a black man accused of raping a white woman.

7 Likes