No jail time for convicted multiple rapist

Originally published at: No jail time for convicted multiple rapist | Boing Boing

9 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: They Don’t Make Pictures Like That Anymore!

[The judge said that] “a sentence that involves incarceration or partial incarceration isn’t appropriate”

Well, sure, of course not. He’s a good kid with a bright future.

yai80006fa

22 Likes

“No boy knows where the hammer might fall next,” the staffer said.

Well it’s about time they and their fellow staff - and the parents - started to fucking well educate these entitled fuckers about that.

32 Likes

Just gotta keep saying Christopher Belter and Brock Turner’s names so people at least remember what they did.

23 Likes

FFS

21 Likes

The false accusers are put to death, and virtue triumphs.

Where’s biblical justice when you actually need it.

Oh and judge…

…you’re a liar. Fuck you and your bullshit prayers.

35 Likes

I presume you know who that painting is by, right?
And why that painting is horrifically relevant?

13 Likes

That’s why I posted it. I figured at least one of the historians many well-educated folks here here would get it.

ETA to be more respectful of the general level of education of the readers here.

I much prefer this, in terms of context:

23 Likes

I’m more Art/Art History but yep.

13 Likes

16 Likes

Christ, Agostino Tassi was a piece of shit.

14 Likes

The rapes occurred at his home at parties that his parents hosted providing alcohol and weed to teenagers, and the judge added a probation condition that he is required to live at home with his parents. This judge might as well have said in the sentencing statement that Belter will almost certainly do it again, and the judge prefers that outcome to a rich, white guy being punished for rape

42 Likes

That’s a good one. But her “Judith Slaying Holofernes” is downright therapeutic.

14 Likes

Canisius High School, the elite private boys school he attended

I’m always bemused by claims that the Society of Jesus somehow represents a progressive or intellectual part of the Catholic Church. The Jesuits simply recognize that higher education is the path to power, and they act accordingly. (Right, Justice Kavanaugh?)

18 Likes

that’s my g*ddamn home town. if I were born a few decades later, I could have been one of his victims. dannazione questi stronzi del cazzo

21 Likes

The blithe admission that rape is business as usual for the rich kids of Lewiston, N.Y. notwithstanding, what hammer?

29 Likes

I’m confused by this story. While the perpetrator is now 20, it appears that he was 17 or younger when he committed the crimes.

In 2018, when Belter was 17, he was charged with first degree rape, third degree rape and sexual abuse involving multiple 15- and 16-year-old girls at his Lewiston home.

I don’t see any references to crimes he committed later so it seems like the thing he is being sentenced for was this. If that is right, he was a minor, when he committed the crimes and would have normally been given juvenile detention, had his record expunged etc. Also while I agree that an adult having sex with underage girls is definitely rape, the usage of the word “rape” for any sex involving a minor here makes it really hard to figure out what happened here between minors with regard to consent.

I’m definitely not saying that this isn’t a huge miscarriage of justice, but the media representation of what happened isn’t informative enough to let me know.

1 Like

Judge Murphy said he “agonized” and prayed over the sentence. So you can consider its leniency God’s will.

So when or if this rapist rapes again, can He be charged as an accessory? If it’s His will that this rapist be free to reoffend then He (or His agents on Earth, whichever church Judge Murphy belongs to) should be at least partially liable criminally and/or civilly, right?

10 Likes

Affluent white cis-het male in America? Here’s your pre-packaged sentence for any crime you commit, no matter how awful:

“Let’s not ruin the life of this young man from a good familywith a promising future.”

Assuming Horst Rittenhouse doesn’t get his mistrial or acquittal, just watch.

32 Likes