Judge admonishes teenage girl for pressing rape charges against a "young man who comes from a good family"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/03/judge-admonishes-teenage-girl.html

6 Likes

:fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu:
Yes this is a complete sentence.

65 Likes

“Why, someday he may even become a Supreme Court Justice!

91 Likes

So, rape is ok if you have prospects for your future? Just come on out and say it Judge, it’s ok because he’s white. :face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

58 Likes

His scores for rape were off the chart as well. He could be our next President. Step aside everyone, this child is special!

64 Likes

One can only suppose the judge did something similar when he was an eagle scout.

45 Likes

Makes me wonder about Judge Troiano’s teenage exploits.
I’m sure he was also “a candidate for not just college but probably for a good college.”

41 Likes

To that judge and the perp:

66 Likes

I’m not in favor of trying kids as adults, but holy shit is this the wrong measuring stick to go about keeping a kid in juvenile court. The appellate court’s order essentially outlines judicial malpractice by the judge: https://law.justia.com/cases/new-jersey/appellate-division-unpublished/2019/a0223-18.html

I wonder what life experience this judge has that leads him to believe that this was just a run of the mill encounter that shouldn’t result in a big fuss?

ETA: these kinds of cases where the judge abuses their discretion in such a shockingly stupid and appalling way are doubly harmful because they deny justice in that case, and they contribute to timid judges being even more reluctant to use their discretion to rein in sometimes overly aggressive prosecutors because they’re scared of being lumped in with jackasses like this judge

43 Likes

I am so sick and fucking tired of these sexual assault cases where judges give perps a pass because of white privilege. I hope the BSA takes away his eagle badge and boots him, for starters. I also hope the little bastard is doxxed so colleges don’t unwittingly admit a sexual predator. I am normally against doxxing people, but how will justice EVER be served if this creep gets away with this horrendous crime? And that judge needs to be impeached. He should be disbarred, but that won’t happen.

41 Likes

That’s more than the accused will get.

47 Likes

Just reading that… how do we let people who are so illiterate become judges?

9 Likes

The New Jersey Appellate Court overturned the ruling, and the judge is now ‘retired’, thank gods.

Family court proceedings dealing with minors are typically kept private, but the details of the case became public this month when a New Jersey appellate court issued a stern rebuke of the now-retired judge’s reasoning, overturning his ruling in the case that will now go before a grand jury to decide whether to indict the boy for sexual assault. “That the juvenile came from a good family and had good test scores we assume would not condemn the juveniles who do not come from good families and do not have good test scores from withstanding waiver application,” the panel wrote.

50 Likes

I wonder if the Court Stenographer added a “WTF?!” when they typed up the Judge’s comments.

23 Likes

I, for one, welcome our new rapist overlords…

Dammit, no!!! I was just kidding.
Just look at these smarmy, slimy assholes.

19 Likes

The judge actually insinuates that they waited to press charges until the video was deleted so that they could make up the rape charge. Unbelievable.

13 Likes

That boy learned a valuable lesson about consent.

If you’re not going to get it then don’t fucking record it and admit to rape on tape.

They had the next best thing to a signed confession and only barely got the conviction. Had it been a he said/she said situation this case wouldn’t have stood a chance. He’ll know better next time.

14 Likes

Not only is he not a good boy, but he’s also a fucking moron.

Maybe resident lawyer @L0ki can answer this:

I know how prosecutors can be recused because of a conflict of interests. Jurors can be removed due to being tainted or connections with the case. Is there a similar outlet for when a judge is also clearly tainted and can’t expect to be impartial?

8 Likes

The judge has since retired

3 Likes

Roger That!

5 Likes