Document lists causes of death in London from 1632

Yeah no doubt you’re right, but having someone drop a chamberpot on your head, then staggering into the path of a carriage before finally drowning in a deep puddle on the side of the road seems cooler.

2 Likes

I had always thought that the King’s Evil was syphilis.

2 Likes

TB, Gout, and Syphilisl; mad, the King is sick.

1 Like

A terminal case of Divers Alarums.

2 Likes

But good to see nobody died from being pursued by bear through an exit, at least.

1 Like

It isn’t the Alarums that get you, it is the Excursions.

2 Likes

it does make me wonder if maybe london was drier back then…

1 Like

I wasn’t surprised by the large figure for infant mortality, but I didn’t understand what was meant by “Chrisomes and Infants”. Apparently infant deaths were in different categories depending on their baptismal status. The chrisome was originally the cloth placed over the child during baptism.

The first Common Prayer-book of King Edward orders that the woman shall offer the chrisome when she comes to be churched; but, if the child happens to die before her churching, she was excused from offering it; and it was customary to use it as a shroud, and to wrap the child in it when it was buried. Hence, by an abuse of words, the term is now used in England not to denote children who die, between the time of their baptism and the churching of the mother, but to denote children who die before they are baptized, and so are incapable of Christian burial.

4 Likes

80s movies sandworms GIF by absurdnoise

Only if the king gave it to you.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.