Documentary: How to Build a Time Machine

[Permalink]

I already have one. It’s my couch and it has never failed me move me steadily into the future.

1 Like

It also doubles as an anti-gravity machine – keeping your butt levitated a couple feet above the ground.

1 Like

Ron Mallett, the physicist featured in that film, was the subject of a This American Life segment in 2007. If I remember right he spent many years studying the problem before concluding that a real-life time machine could at best only take you as far back as the point in time when it was turned on (like the device in Primer.)

2 Likes

You can get a Ronald Mallet prayer candle from 826LA’s time travel mart:
Patron Saints of Time Travel Candle Set

3 Likes

Forward time travel is easy, just build a spaceship that can accelerate constantly at 1g then fly off into space and back. Spend 40 years travelling and you’ll arrive back at Earth around 60,000 years later.

At least as long as you don’t go off course and end up at that terrible Planet of the Apes!

PS. Boingboing your edit post functionality is broken, if you’re just making a spelling correction it complains that “Body is too similar to what you recently posted” :expressionless:

I moved a post to an existing topic: Boing Boing: zine, blog, and back again

Obligatory time travelling canoe reference.

1 Like

what kind of time travel?
time and space travel?
will it take time or be instantaneous?
is it accelerated or slowed referential time?
observation or interaction?
is it necesarily to take place in a technological machine or can it occur within an organism?
is it recorded experience in a transferable format or isolated experience?
etc…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.