Documentary on the endangered art of hollerin', possibly the earliest form of human communications

#???

6 Likes

Yup. What dang fool setup a microphone? Wez only 2000 miles to the North West. Pose I fergits to lock the barn? I aint never gittin them hawgs back.

1 Like

When I was younger and worked as a choke setter on a logging crew we used “hollering” to communicate across the cricks and hollers of the Pacific Northwest, warning other crews when a tree was about to fall or calling lunch break.

1 Like

… less than 50 years ago. I knew my dad predated the the invention of language, and I assume, fire, but now I have evidence to back me up!

But yeah, while I get that this is sad for people who enjoy this particular passtime, in any sense that hollerin’ is “the oldest form of communication”, it isn’t going anywhere.

2 Likes

Even in Canada?

Posted in response to the article at hand, it certainly appeared to me that you were trying to conflate Donald Trump with the hollerin’ community. If so, I have a hard time imagining that it was done out of a sense of admiration for either party involved.

Was this not the case? If I’ve misinterpreted what you were getting at, then what were you trying to get at?

Trump is loud. Above all else he is loud.

The competition is about hollering.

3 Likes

In my mind his loudness comes a distant, maybe, fifth in comparison with his lies and ignorant bluster, scandal, bad business practices, and mongering of fear and hatred.

Maybe it’s just me. Probably it is.

But this election is gradually stripping me of any sense of humor I’ve ever had about politics.
It started (for me at least) with the whole Drumpf thing. The guy is clearly a dangerous/useful idiot, but who are you going to convince by belittling his name?

Since then every bit of humor at the expense of a candidate’s or their constituency’s secondary characteristics (bad spelling, those morans, har har!) has increasingly stuck in my craw.

And, justified or not, there have been plenty of accusations of ignorance (willful or otherwise) and misconduct slung back and forth about both sets of supporters. It is to the point where I’ve become hypersensitive to perceived slights against all associated groups and vaguely associated sub-cultures because such attacks are just so frequent. Sensitive even to the point of false positives apparently.

Apologies if all that was meant here was that Trump is one loud guy and no disrespect meant to good hollerin’ folk.

Hopefully my skin will thicken up a few inches again after a few more days.

Watch this with the subtitles on:

yeah
bad bad
did you think of me

1 Like

Just making fun of Herr Drumpf’s tendency to turn everything into a hollerin’ contest.

The world must look kinda funny through your reality tunnel…

2 Likes

It definitely seemed to me to be a dig at Trump alone, and not those hollerers who are not Trump.

2 Likes

Well, maybe. But when it comes to politics not funny “ha, ha”.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.