Duck learned to say "You bloody fool," providing scientists new insight into the evolution of vocal language

Originally published at: Duck learned to say "You bloody fool," providing scientists new insight into the evolution of vocal language | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Kewl. And also this…

23 Likes

Maybe the duck just thought someone was a real idiot?

Alternate headline: “Duck has finally had enough of Gerald’s shit.”

18 Likes

… was it trained to curse? 'cause that would be some fowl language, for certain.

:: gets coat, heads for the door ::

17 Likes

articulate

25 Likes

Donald Duck Disney GIF

12 Likes

Lyre birds are amazing.

4 Likes

I think the fun part about birds is they don’t have a neocortex but they do have something similar. It’s interesting how evolution will inevitably create communicators/babblers in various forms. There’s even fish that babble/communicate as well across various species.

8 Likes

The actual recording, as it wasn’t in the BB article:

14 Likes

howard-beer

8 Likes

daffy duck GIF

3 Likes
4 Likes

This seems like that video where you hear based on what caption is provided…

11 Likes

That’s nothing; I’m training all the birds in our flock to squawk the word ‘pareidolia’ at random intervals. In fact, it sounds like some of them are already getting on board with it.

16 Likes

Agreed; it really says more about the human brain’s capacity for language and pattern-finding than it says anything about ducks.

7 Likes

to me it sounds more human than most ducks, but yeah: it didn’t sound much like words

3 Likes

The same level of intelligibility as “backward masked” speech in a recording. I’m not impressed. Do better, duck.

2 Likes

Thanks, I needed that laugh!

1 Like

I have long suspected that many animals can mimic human speech. The big problem is how to motivate them to do so.

3 Likes

“Get your wings off me, you goddamn dirty waterfowl!” – Planet of the Ducks

7 Likes