Documentary on the endangered art of hollerin', possibly the earliest form of human communications

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/06/documentary-on-the-endangered.html

gee, i’m a sixth grade teacher who takes kids out to recess two days a week. i’ve been doing this for 2 decades. i can tell you that the art of hollerin’ is not lost it’s just moved to the playgrounds of our public schools.

You know about silent letters, right?

In Appalachia, the words, “hollow” and “halloa” both have invisible 'R’s.

Little known fact: hollerin’ predates Thanksgiving.

Since there’s so little hollerin’ in that trailer…

Endangered hollerin’? I’m actually okay with that.

And let’s face it - if they were really any good at it, they wouldn’t need the microphones.

I was shouting & a hollerin last night. With the help of whiskey of course.

Wait, so… wait… what? The oldest form of human communication was developed by… white people in the US?

Hey folks, here’s a link to the full film if you’re interested in watching more. Thanks!

https://vimeo.com/128667339

#Make America Loud Again!

This seems plausible. You can easily trace the development from hollerin’ to Hollerith

and ultimately to hologram

what this thread need is some eefin’ and hambone.

oh what the hell–

I HAD A REALLY TRENCHANT AND AMUSING COMMENT ABOUT THIS BUT BBS INSISTED THAT IF I WAS GOING TO SHOUT IT NEEDED TO BE LONGER. And somewhat less shouty.

More eefin’ than I need in my day.

I wondered about that phrasing, too. I assume they mean early hominids (in Africa) communicating/coordinating over long distances through loud vocalization even prior to the invention of spoken languages, to which we could probably easily answer “um, duh. How else?”

Look, I personally hold Trump in extreme disdain and plan to vote for Clinton in a couple days here. But how does this image association help anything?

There aren’t enough divisions in our country that you need to lump together and alienate folks because of a shared pastime that’s not highbrow enough for your tastes?

Wat.