Compare the way Trump spoke in 2015 to the way he speaks now

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/15/compare-the-way-trump-spoke-in.html

5 Likes

Presidents famously age rapidly while in office. Trump is apparently internalizing that. Either that, or the hydroxychloroquine is getting to him.

21 Likes

The recent clip is him reading off the teleprompter. The pauses are due to both his semi-illiteracy and his vanity. He won’t wear glasses, so the prompter can only fit a word or two at a time at the font size he needs to see it.

52 Likes

Still, he’s reading like a primary school student who has already been held back a year.

22 Likes

From the twitted comments:

17 Likes

29 Likes

see: semi-illiteracy

6 Likes

That’s an insult to Immortan Joe, at least he can put together coherent sentences

15 Likes

Thats the difference between him trying to read from a teleprompter and in the earlier spilling whatever bullshit comes to his tiny mind.

Not that he is not deteriorating, but that’s not what we see in the comparison.

Can’t lift a glass? Possible stroke.

Afraid to walk on a ramp - he was doing that shortly after moving into the white house.

9 Likes

Imagine what it will look like 2024 regardless of whether Trump or Biden win. They are both old and showing signs of it.

3 Likes

It still surprises me that after the clear cognitive decline experienced by Reagan and Trump all the major candidates put forward by the Democrats were in the 70-and-over crowd. No matter who wins in 2020 we’ll be setting a new age record for oldest President.

21 Likes

2015 isn’t even the right point of comparison, really. I’m too lazy to look it up on my phone, but there is video of him on talk shows in the 80s where, if you didn’t know it was Donald Trump, you’d think you were looking at someone of perfectly normal intelligence with barely any hint of social pathology. Seriously, look it up. It’s surreal and creepy (now) to see him riffing normally in conversation the way a pleasant, sane person might.

His BEHAVIOR was pretty sociopathic even then, but he wore a much more convincing mask.

16 Likes

38 Likes

In 1989 he was publishing ads calling for the executions of the Central Park Five. By 1990 he was praising China’s actions during the Tiananmen Square massacre during radio interviews. It wasn’t his public positions that got markedly worse over the last 30-plus years, just his delivery.

45 Likes

I can’t decide if its the ups and downs from drug use, or cognitive issues - or both.

3 Likes

Right, but I’m just saying, when you catch the old clips of him on Donahue or whatever, his manner of speaking doesn’t set off those instinctive skin-crawling “this is a broken brain” warnings. Because while his soul was already long since rotted, the brain was still more or less holding it together.

I think what’s so disturbing about watching 40-year-old Trump use complete sentences and recognizable thought processes is the realization of how you’ve almost gotten used to the word salad he half-screams, half-mumbles today.

25 Likes

Worth remembering because I bet anything as he deteriorates more his evident illness will be used to whitewash and excuse his actions and those of his cronies.

22 Likes

Exactly! It was Immortan Joe’s soaring rhetoric that helped me beat my addiction to water. Now I no longer resent its absence.

9 Likes

Somebody tripled his dose of Thorazine.

2 Likes

The Senate is a fine place for old politicians to retire

and thus not such a good place to look to for the next generation of executive leadership

11 Likes