Does anyone still make those magazines where David Bowie is mauled by weasels?

[Read the post]

4 Likes

Um… sexist sexist… half-naked men in danger… unreal fantasy…

we’re all subjugated by other peoples’ artwork

eating disorder

is that where Frank Zappa got the title?

1 Like

Wait - Zappa? Bowie? I am so confused!

1 Like

I met the man who had (maybe still does) the world record for the greatest number of live ferrets stuffed in his oversize trousers. He also portrayed The Doctor on Doctor Who in the 1980s.

1 Like

Zappa/The Mothers of Invention had an album called “Weasels Ripped My Flesh”. Wikipedia says that title came from that magazine cover:

Frank Zappa recruited artist Neon Park to create a subversive image based on a cover story from the September 1956 issue of Man’s Life, a Men’s adventure magazine. The magazine’s cover story depicts a shirtless man being attacked by numerous weasels, above the caption “Weasels Ripped My Flesh”. After showing Neon a copy of the magazine, Zappa inquired, “This is it. What can you do that’s worse than this?” Neon’s answer was to craft a parody of an advertisement for Schick brand electric razor based on the “Weasels Ripped My Flesh” theme. The record company released the album despite its reservations about the album cover.

2 Likes

Top Ten Man’s Life Magazine Covers - Listverse

This Man’s Life magazine cover and title was the inspiration for the 1970 album by Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention of the same name.
4 Likes

That link is totally worth clicking!

Were the ferrets part of the audition?

1 Like

Not directly, but it sounds like they were partly a factor. He said he got started selling tickets to a theatre, but people were staying outside to see him instead of whoever was billed. So he got a variety show, called “An Evening with Sylvester McCoy, The Human Bomb” where he made a name for himself entertaining people with such antics. Which in turn seemed to lead to him attracting the attention of the Doctor Who casting folks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.