Does "bionic" text read better to you?

My brain immediately thinks the bolded parts are a secret message and gets distracted trying to solve it. Or maybe it’s the unbolded parts…

10 Likes

I ‘hear’ words as I’m reading, so this ‘sounded’ wrong to me, no judgements on whether it made the reading faster. Like reading badly scanned poetry.

5 Likes

The voice spoke slowly. In the first sentence, Harry caught an emphasis that brought a gasp of astonishment to his lips.
The man at Station WNX was stressing certain words, exactly as Harry had heard words stressed over the telephone.
The radio broadcast was bringing a message from The Shadow! A message that would be heard by millions, yet whose true significance was meant for Harry Vincent alone!
His pencil was busy, writing the important words upon the pad.
“We now open our program,” came the slow, carefully modulated voice of the announcer. "Let me remind you that opportunity is at your door. Rely upon a safe method to preserve your teeth by using a combination of dentrifices. Six thousand five hundred and thirty-seven dentists have endorsed this one method. You may place your confidence in them. Brush your teeth with liquid; then with paste.
"When you buy your dentifrice, look for the gold label, which appears on every sealed package of Modern Dentifrice.
"If you will send a stamped envelope to this station, you will receive a copy of our booklet, ‘Perfect Teeth.’
“You will now hear our nightly program of popular musical numbers.”
The strains of a jazz orchestra burst from the radio. Harry turned off the instrument. He had received his message. Now to consider it.
Harry considered these words on the pad:
“Open door safe combination six five seven one place liquid on sealed envelope copy numbers.”

7 Likes

As someone who seriously perused a career in graphic design out of a love and appreciation of typography (but utterly failed for reasons unrelated to my intelligence or aptitude in said field), I hate it.

11 Likes

My Eyes Spongebob GIF

Nope Nope Nope Nope.

Hard pass.

I find it easier to read that meme with scrambled letters (except for the first and last) that went around.

This is just rubbish.

4 Likes

The trouble with artificial fixation points is that nobody has the same fixation point frequency and they almost certainly do not have them in every word unless they are reading less familiar vocabularies or languages.
If you want more on reading and typography

5 Likes

I thought the same but multiple trials have shown that there is no measurable difference between the readability of serif and sans serif fonts.

1 Like

Says the person who just posted a picture of a big sans serif IF.

2 Likes

They have their place. Microsoft Word’s switch from Times New Roman to Calibri as the default typeface was certainly an improvement. But as text faces they are intolerable and they’re probably overused in general.

2 Likes

Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.

5 Likes

If this doesn’t work on my kindle, it’s kind of useless to me. Out of habit, I use Georgian-- some of the publisher provided fonts are a bit rubbish. Type size depends on how closely I can hold the device, and whether I have my glasses on.

I’m wondering if I should use a different font for the languages I don’t know so well.

5 Likes

Makes me think my glasses need cleaning.

1 Like

Initially I thought this scheme had something to do with which syllables are supposed to be stressed when reading the words out loud

but on closer inspection they’re just mindlessly bolding the first half of each word, no matter what it is or how it functions in the sentence

This is a bunch of buzzwords wrapped around a tiny payload of nothingness

If somebody is raising money, I’d call it a “hoax”

5 Likes

No.

3 Likes

It reads just the same to me, neither better nor worse.
I don’t get such strong reactions to typefaces as a lot of people seem to. Once I start reading something, I’m not consciously looking at letters on a screen/page/block of stone/whatever, all my attention is on the words and their meanings. Basically I point my eyeballs at some text, and information arrives in my head. Consciously, there’s no intervening process.

But it’s not syllable breaks, at least not as presented. It’s random, roughly half of each word, so it’s unrelated to a word’s syllabification or etymology except by accident. It’s distracting and infuriating. “Understanding” makes no sense and can’t possibly help with comprehension or reading speed.

2 Likes

TIL that Oliver Nelson composed the Six Million Dollar man theme. Mind blown!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.