Does "bionic" text read better to you?

I’m sure there must be tons of research on the effect of different typographic features on comprehension. At the very least projects like the various dyslexia typefaces have to have been developed on a data basis.

5 Likes

I wonder if instead of bolding part of the word it should bold the upper half of the text.

Most people can read text if they only see the top half (in English, at least), and the only luck I’ve ever had with “speed reading” is when I focus on the top half of the typeface as I try to zip along.

The top half is the more important half, so if it’s boldened or emphasized maybe that would have a positive effect.

Probably won’t unlock 100% of the brain but maybe we can try for a meager 15% usage.

3 Likes

For bionic text, I think you want Steve Awesome, The Six-Dollar and Thirty-Nine-Cent Man.

Of particular importance is his “macro-bionic eyesight,” giving him the ability to “look at any message, take a picture of it with his macro-bionic eyes, and then project that picture in big print on any surface,” because “big print is easier to read.”

8 Likes

It’s an internet!

5 Likes

Changes the meaning of the sentence, even!

BAN this sick filth!
Ban THIS sick filth!
Ban this SICK filth!
Ban this sick FILTH!

and my chipdrone folkwave collective:

BAN THIS! sick filth.

11 Likes

Then comes the text processing 60 (conversion) according to the invention in which distinction pattern 50 and distinction type 52 are applied to the analyzed original text. The resulting changed text can be saved and/or output and can he saved as a file (file formatting). Various output formats of course are possible. It can be a browser plug-in, a Wordpress application, an App, a software plugin or add on for implementing in an existing software (for example, MS Word), an output format like PDFile, etc. The principle is, however, that a digital output is generated, which is converted and readable by a diverse applications (software).Referring now to FIG. 2A, a flow chart 2000 for the selection of rules 2002 is shown. Each rule is designated TYPO1 to TYP010, but of course many more rules can be selected. Note that the rule name “TYPO” has nothing to do with the common meaning of a “typo” in the English language. The decision blocks 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210 are therein illustrated from among a total of 10 rules 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 401, 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 409, 410 that correspond to particular distinction patterns and distinction types. In a first step 2020, the source text file is cal led up for processing. In a second step 2022, the "BIONIC™ typography module of the invention is called up. In a third step 2024, the rules 30 I, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 3 I 0, 401, 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 40c,410 are called up and a selection is made among them typically using a yes-no decision block 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210. In a fourth step 2026, the selected rules are applied to the source text. In a fifth step 2030, the source file is displayed in "BIONIC"™ typographical format.

I think the chief problem is that I am not using a bionic font.

6 Likes

no, you’re not. I actually has a hard time reading it at all and i had to go back and read it again to figure out what was being said. my brain wanted to process the bolded part as distinct words.

4 Likes

10 Likes

My RSS reader of choice (Reeder) has had this built-in for a while now, as an option for article text. Tried it, hated it immediately, disabled it.

4 Likes

186312-Well-There-s-Your-Problem

5 Likes

Citation badly needed, but in the meantime I presume the idea to be bollocks.

For one thing, it seems to presuppose that the reason people aren’t reading faster is that they’re processing one letter at a time in order. But that’s not true of anyone beyond a first-grade reading level. If you can read, then you already scan text nonlinearly and look at whole words as well as letters. Even if bolding the “most important” parts makes that process easier (which is dubious), it would only help if everyone scanned text in exactly the same way, and the algorithm matched that. Otherwise the emphasis would interfere with your own speed-reading. Since no one is taught how to scan sentences, it seems highly unlikely anyone does it exactly the same way.

4 Likes

I like it.

But I have no idea if it aids comprehension or recall at all.

Seems like the push for this should wait for unambiguous data supporting it’s utility.

3 Likes

A) We are not “mutes” (Haven’t you noticed how much noise we make down here?)

B) No - it was far worse for me. But then, I’ve been ‘deep’ reading all my life.

2 Likes

Then he ought to know a lot better - especially about the font chosen.

Big “if” if you ask me.

5 Likes

I recently got the Atlantic Magazine app and have been reading the articles with their Dyslexic Friendly font. Very similar to OpenDyslexic. Easier on my eyes than the default serif font anyway.

The bionic font does (I think?) seem easier to read for me. I would use it.

1 Like

3 Likes

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

But I’m no expert on reading comprehension (other than reading and comprehending stuff I read meself).

the point isn’t how it LOOKS, but how it aids reading comprehension (which seems to be about speed somehow?).

Is that how we should write Data’s text in comic books?

Confused The Next Generation GIF by Star Trek

4 Likes

Which they already do in saccadic reading, I suspect that adding irrelevant ‘colour’ is not helping.

I’m tempted to bung up a Jinja filter…

1 Like

My head finds it intolerable. I’ve come across this on teh intarwebz before, and immediately left those sites. Same thing w/joints that make seemingly random letters red, ones that underline random letters/words - esp with red squiggles, and ones that randomly make letters bold. All that crap just adds to the noise in my head and makes it even louder.

That threw me too, then I realized it’s short for ‘mutants.’

Can’t find the comment now, but sans serif faces annoy me. My brain finds them ugly and doesn’t want any interaction with 'em.

3 Likes