Does "bionic" text read better to you?

Came here expecting this font, leaving disappointed.

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 8.00.50 AM

19 Likes

I tried to read through it quickly and found that I was constantly jumping backwards by a couple of syllables to check words. That happens a little with the regular text but not to the same degree.

5 Likes

I find the randomly bolded text harder to read because i find it distracting

8 Likes

Rather than dismiss it outright, I think it’s a concept worthy of actual, academic research. We already use bold and italic to convey emphasis, maybe a tool to subtly adjust weighting of words to match the writer’s intended cadence might help?

This feels like a primitive first step, but might be interesting to pursue, to see how it develops. If little things like font weight and kerning according to language and prose might be worthwhile.

5 Likes

Sure, realtive to a poor design choice (type too thin and low-contrast for comfortable reading) it might seem an improvement. But the problem could be fixed by a better design choice, as well.

1 Like

Reminds me of glancing at UK tabloids where they bold certain words because those are the things the reader needs to be enraged about!

6 Likes

15 Likes

I find it ugly.

2 Likes

No there is not. This is straight up pseudoscience bullshit from a guy trying to sell you apps and other things. We shouldn’t even be talking about it.

There is no science behind this at all. Just one font nerd who thinks he knows something.

Once more for the cheap seats:

This. Is. Made. Up. Bullshit.

25 Likes

He should A/B this method with fraktur.

4 Likes

No. I typically read about 7-9 words at a time in chunks, sometimes a couple of lines of text. No idea how or why, but it works for me and has since I was a kid. Definitely grad school forced me to fine tune the ability to read and comprehend a lot, at speed.

This text causes me to trip over each bolded part and slows me down in a very frustrating way.

6 Likes

it’s incredible how reading this feels like finally unlocking 100% of your brain

Instead of using only 10% like science has proven!

5 Likes

That’s known as “Data” not Bionic.

5 Likes

Yeah, but italics usually signify something, like a title. Bold for important emphasis to not be missed.

Every first syllable bolded? Nothing is special if everything is bolded.

I was thinking though, for NEW readers, i.e. kids, who might not be sure where syllables break in words, it might help in that area. But you would have to bold every other syllable.

4 Likes

It’s like talking about how your computer is only using 10% of its capacity, because it confuses storage space with computing capacity.

4 Likes

If I wanted random words in bold I’d go read a Marvel comic.

14 Likes

Pick any from here:

3 Likes

That’s not how it is either, actually. Your brain uses 100% of itself all the time. It grows connections as it needs to. Evolution would never spend the immense amount of energy a huge brain requires for capacity that might be used.

7 Likes

Yeah, it’s why I think seeing actual research done on how it improves the semiotics would be interesting. The version presented feels faster merely because it is novel and grabs my ADHD brain, but the effect wore off really quickly. And the effect is too in your face, too blatant.

The real test would be to see just how much of a role font weight and kerning play in our reading ability, and the tradeoff between the work of calculating micro changes in font weight and kerning are to the actual win. My gut says it would be negligible.

7 Likes

Oh, of course. The brain is a complex organ, and investigating it is a fascinating subject (a scary one as well, as it exposes just how tied to the physical world we are).

The brain is not a computer. I was just using a bad metaphor. Thank you for pointing out what I forgot to add.

3 Likes