Dog breathes like a car engine

[Permalink]

Fill him up with high-test, set him in Park, and run him for a few minutes. That should do it.

1 Like

A nice bowl of water would be nice right now.

4 Likes

the dog seems anxious to me.

2 Likes

Good thing that’s not an English Setter, because that breed leaks oil.

5 Likes

That dog is having a heat stroke! :frowning:

That can literally kill the dog!

6 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking. Dog’s don’t breathe that way even if they’re “very hot” this poor guy is in trouble, and needs an icebath stat. He’s breathing this way because he’s dangerously overheated. Notice the rapid and repetitive face licking? The poor guy can’t even keep his nose wet he’s so hot!

5 Likes

I dunno, I prefer two cheetahs purring about 5 feet away - it’s like two Ferraris idling…

Great name for him: Harley

Seriously, get him somewhere cooler, and fast… :frowning:

2 Likes

Man, I’ve been trying to stay out of the comments section due to what seems like a serious uptick in general contentiousness, personal attacks rather than logical discussion, etc…, but this video almost demands comment from someone professionally qualified (my qualifications, a doctorate in Veterinary Medicine)

You are likely correct Ashen Victor that if this dog is not in heatstroke, she (well, I’m guessing at she since I can’t see a “sheath” [though that may be positional]) is at least teetering on the edge of it.

That licking is to try to keep the entire muzzle as wet as possible to take maximum advantage of evaporative cooling in an area with lots of blood vessels. You’re probably right in that her nose is drying very quickly due to elevated temperatures.
Also, trying to flatten her body against the linoleum to conduct as much heat as possible rather than sitting up and interacting with the (presumably owner) who is filming her.
Ice baths can actually be pretty dangerous though, throwing a dog into DIC (disseminated intravascular coagulation).
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEgQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vcaspecialtyvets.com%2Fckfinder%2Fuserfiles%2Ffiles%2FACARC%2FCanine%2520Heat%2520Stroke.pdf&ei=_h-6VNKYBoG8ggSV2YGwBQ&usg=AFQjCNEXgiVcHghM--vHzK9HMBTZkz-bGA&bvm=bv.83829542,d.eXY
Ice baths seem to be the current recommendation for people in heatstroke/heat exhaustion, but dogs aren’t exactly just little people physiologically/coagulopathologically.

Check the dog’s temp first. If febrile, but not in the “brain protein denaturation” range, rubbing alcohol on the foot pads can help cool a mildly overheated dog. Next step is cool (not ice) water baths or even cool water enemas for dogs in the 106-107F range, if you’re cresting 108, then yeah, ice baths, but it would suck to effectively cool a dog, only to have to deal with DIC afterwards.

Also, don’t try to cool an overheated dog back into the “normal” 99.5-102.5 range. If you aim for that, you’ll inevitably continue to see the temp. drop after you’ve stopped your cooling efforts. As weird/counterintuitive as it may seem, aim for somewhere around 104-104.5. That’s hot, but not really that dangerous, and you’ll probably see it continue to decrease into the “normal” range even after you’ve stopped your cooling efforts.

Ok. Probably more about cooling dogs than most people care about. Back to lurking :smile:

15 Likes

Thanks so much for the info! I’m an Eagle scout, and I focused intensely on first aid in the scouts due to an embarrassing denial of rank advancement due to not knowing a few medical nuances our scout master quizzed me on when going in front of the advancement board. (I was asked about severe deep puncture wounds that couldn’t be packed. I recommended pressure and getting EMS, when the scoutmaster was looking for tourniquet techniques, even though the scout manual advises specifically against tourniquet usage except in the advanced supplementary materials, because it had a record of being misused and causing gangrene.)

Since then I’ve prided myself of knowing good first aid, and paying attention to emergency medicine, even if I have no formal training in it. I want to be able to at least do something while waiting for an ambulance. Instead of just possibly watching the injured/sick person die while I stand there helpless and impotent.

Anyway, I knew icebaths were recommended for humans suffering heatstroke. But my dogs would almost certainly never get to that point, because I give them water, and have air conditioning.

Eta:
I also used to be a raver, and have treated a number of people for heatstroke while waiting for the ambulance. It’s relatively simple to get right, is easy to diagnose accurately, and usually the hardest part is convincing the patient’s friends they’re in trouble and moving the person outside where they can start cooling off.

3 Likes

Except they’re purring because you look delicious.

1 Like

I think what the author meant to say is that car engines are cooled by methods used in nature. A growing movement in the ecological realm is concerned with finding natural technologies in nature to duplicate for use and effectiveness in the post-Industrial Age.

…And the first photographer says, “Forget the cheetahs. I just need to outrun you.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.