Dog cools down by napping in an ice machine

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/22/dog-cools-down-by-napping-in-a.html

8 Likes

Can’t imagine feel. Much soothe. Hooman good. Hooman change wolf, human change climate. Much hot. Hooman provide ice. Much soothe.

16 Likes

Who’s a good boy?

14 Likes

:slight_smile:

Whilst cooling off, I wonder if he’s also staging a “why the heck did you bring me to this overheated hell-hole” protest by deliberately messing with their ice.

4 Likes

Who domesticated who?

7 Likes

That’s one cool dog.

10 Likes

“Now, who wants an nice, cold drink?” :flushed:

6 Likes

What a good doggo. They should market those things to Newfoundland dog owners.

3 Likes

Well, it is a Westinghouse! Actually it’s a Hoshizaki, but that’s not as funny.

Problem with that type of machine is every half hour or so it drops a 10 lb sheet of ice that normally uses the other ice in the bin to break it into cubes, so if you are laying on the ice, it will drop on you,

5 Likes

From the doggo’s point of view, that could well be a feature rather than a bug :dog:

15 Likes

There is a word for that kind of snow, also. Hail.

6 Likes

They don’t call it “Hair of the dog” for nothing.

9 Likes

They’ll need a much bigger ice machine

3 Likes

Jeez are we abusing that breed by forcing it to live anywhere that’s warm? They sure do love immersing themselves in ice and snow.

6 Likes

Well his brethern up north might just be jealous he lives in such a warm, sunny climate. As with humans, I’m sure it’s a matter of perspective.

1 Like

until things go wrong and he wakes up a thousand years in the future!

3 Likes

As a vet who lives in an area where it regularly tops 100 deg in the summer, I can definitively say “yes!”.

These breeds aren’t comfortable in the heat. I see these breeds with cool seeking behaviors when it’s 75 deg out. They must be f-ing miserable when it’s 100.

Also, extreme brachycephalic breeds. Hard to pant properly to cool yourself when your skull and respiratory structures have been bred to be so malformed that you can’t pant/breathe rapidly.

Can’t tell you the number of these types of dogs that come in on emergency for heat stroke (or just come in DOA) when the temp. gets above 80, and their owners decide it’s play time, or time to jog etc… The dogs will do it, then they overheat.

13 Likes

I"m thinking that there is a market for a re-freezable dog vest. With a bunch of those little “blue ice” chunks sewn in.

Googles ice dog vest. Yep.

3 Likes

No. Humans are immensely adaptable, and a key reson for that is that we don’t have fur. It means that we need clothes in colder climates, but heat is generally not an issue for us (just look at global population density maps - humans thrive in heat). Polar or sub-polar animal breeds like Siberian huskies have thick, insulating fur that doesn’t shed in summer. They are simply not made (genetically) for climates this hot (even if large parts of Siberia can reach 100F in summer). They are immensely susceptible to heat stroke and other adverse health effects due to excessive heat, not to mention immense discomfort and suffering.

3 Likes

Question - if you have say a Newfoundland, is it better to leave his fur natural, or trim him down in the summer?

1 Like