Squirrels aren't the only animals that sploot

Originally published at: Squirrels aren't the only animals that sploot | Boing Boing

3 Likes

For the same reason humans put ice packs in their underarms and between their thighs to cool down (blood vessels are close to the surface of the thin skin located there), animals know to do it to.

2 Likes

Chickens!
I saw some chickens splooting earlier today…. Here in Denmark!

2 Likes

The posture enables heat transfer either direction. My cat sploots on foggy evenings to absorb heat from the still warm sidewalk.

2 Likes

I did not know this was a thing. I may have to try it.

2 Likes

I had St Bernards that would do this too. As a puppy on the tile floor, as a “teenager” in a still wet shower stall; and as a adult on a sheet of ice in the backyard in the late spring. Sadly I don’t have any pictures of this.

2 Likes

This reminds me of other wild animal welfare PSAs, like:

Remember water beds? (you don’t!?) the only aspect of those odd things i miss (is being able to turn off the heater of course) and human sploot (huploot?) on them on a hot day. Suck the heat right out of you, water heat capacity is impressive. (requires an ambient temperature at least a bit below 37°C; something less assured these mad_max daze -sigh-)

4 Likes

She left us a number of years ago but splooting or just weird?

5 Likes

My son’s girlfriend has two Cockers who occasionally sploot, though they, like me, didn’t know what it was called. They called it “doing the Rotisserie Chicken.”

3 Likes

Pics next time please! That sounds hilarious.

Also, this is a public service announcement

All pics of animals splooting are welcome here: Post your Pet or animal Pics (Part 2)

A bag of frozen peas works too, but your likely to get kicked out of the grocery store.

6 Likes

wouldn’t be the first time :pensive:

1 Like

We call it “frog-dogging” with our cockers.

2 Likes

Everybody sploots.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.