Dog woofs despite request not to woof

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/09/dog-woofs-despite-request-not.html

10 Likes

" And by “says”, I mean the dog says it."

Oh come now, when you say. . .I’ll be damned, that dog really does say woof! That trick would get you on Letterman back in the day!

14 Likes

that was the woofiest woof i’ve ever heard.

10 Likes

That was, indeed, saying woof :slight_smile:

I think trying to mimic sounds may be partly a breed thing. My wife has a video of her husky from when she was in high school, trying to mimic her saying “I love you” and getting darn close.

6 Likes

that is not a woof - that is a “you ain’t telling me what to do, human” putdown.

6 Likes

That’s true.

Also: even in humans, your brain has to process a word before it can add the “no” modifier to the meaning. Hence the difficulty of “don’t think of a pink elephant.” So if the dog knows what “woof” means, or just likes mimicking when his packmates woof, “don’t woof” is unlikely to work; choose a different command.

2 Likes

Could be worse. In “The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared” an elephant is told not to sit on a person, but unfortunately doesn’t understand “not” just “sit”.

2 Likes

It wasn’t Sonja’s fault, and in the end it was for the best.

1 Like

That sounds like a cartoon talking dog trying to pass as a normal dog.

4 Likes

Because, Husky.

1 Like

When I tell my dog to say “woof” she grumbles “what you talkin 'bout Willis”… She’s a racist dog, Japanese Spitz. Yes a very white dog but I believe it’s in her soul too. Rescue dog, so not sure where she picked it up from

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.