Dolly Parton sings death metal version of Jolene

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/20/dolly-parton-sings-death-metal.html

4 Likes

Lavender is the new Black.

6 Likes

Dolly Parton sings death metal version of Jolene

click

5 Likes

I might have posted this here in some therad already, anyway:

(ETA: skip to 1:00 for the fun)

1 Like

If I didn’t know better I would say she was lip-synching there.

4 Likes

I also shout fake - at no point did she bite the head off a live alligator which is well known to be one of her signature stage performances.

3 Likes

Darcy Clay’s '97 cover is another interesting one.

RIP Darcy. (The DIY kiwi multi-instrumentalist infamously killed himself 2-weeks before his scheduled performance at a suicide prevention and awareness gig.) Most known for his great song “Jesus I Was Evil”.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Jesus that was emo.

I’m sorry… once thought, that couldn’t be unthunk.

1 Like

Given Darcy’s version was quite similar to how Jack White covered it later, I’ve always liked to believe someone gave Mr White a copy of Mr Clay’s EP at some point, which inspired the Stripes version.

Also, a minor point of note: I’d always thought he was an American living in New Zealand, but wikipedia tells me was an Aucklander that spent a few months in the US and Oz, so that’s my thing I learned today.

1 Like

It’s more Blackened Death than straight Death. High vocals instead of guttural growls.

THIS HAS BEEN A PSA ON BEHALF OF METAL PEDANTS INTERNATIONAL

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.