The Profound Eldritch Horror Of Dolly Parton's “Jolene”

Originally published at: The Profound Eldritch Horror Of Dolly Parton's "Jolene" | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I think the greatest thing these horror versions do is allow me to reimagine the original as being a song of cosmic horror. “Don’t take him just because you can,” is probably more horrific than anything I hear in the horror versions, but I don’t know that I realized it until I heard them.

15 Likes

4 Likes

Here’s a country song that already has its own horror built right in.

10 Likes

This is “Filk” music as I knew it from science fiction conventions of the '80s.

5 Likes

I have always felt that “Jolene” is the name of the Angel of Death, who took Dolly’s man away.

6 Likes
11 Likes

I may have to actually learn the last one. It’s my 8-year-old’s favorite song, I’m sure she’ll appreciate this.

2 Likes

Ruby’s cover…

6 Likes

I think the connecting thread is this tumblr post. I’ve seen it get shared recently with some of the lyrics sung here.

3 Likes

You’ve made my day, but I even moreso you’ve made the day of my best friend who I just shared this with.

3 Likes

Ah, yes, I remember this from a Reddit thread a few years ago … a girl at the time made a recording which I much prefer to the posted vid …

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.