Dolphin Emulator coming to Steam, occupying legal gray area

Originally published at: Dolphin Emulator coming to Steam, occupying legal gray area | Boing Boing

1 Like

This may be intended as a wink and a nod, but it’s probably not that unusual. I recently ripped all my physical PS2 games to play on the PCSX2 emulator, and they play and look better than they ever did on my console, and it’s more convenient as well. I’ll not be going back.

8 Likes

:person_raising_hand: guilty!

18 Likes

Retroarch has been there for a while so I don’t think they’re going to have any problems. Emulators aren’t illegal so as long as they don’t use any trademarked assets or branding there’s very little Nintendo can do about it.

5 Likes

I’m guessing that it’s put there so that it can be loaded onto the Steam deck? Not quite sure how sideloading works on that console, but it’s just a random guess.

3 Likes

It is a General Purpose computer, a PC with game controlers on it. you could run Kali linux on there if yu wanted.

puttibg dolphin on the Steam sotre makes things easier for people who dont want to go int odesktop mode.

7 Likes

Me too, were you also kinda nervous about what the “legal grey area” was going to be?

6 Likes

I was at least intrigued, assuming no live dolphins were being harmed in the process!

7 Likes

After the advent of remote turkey shoots, I’ve lost some of my benefit of the doubt …

4 Likes

Yeah, came here for promo video about digital Flipper, leaving disappointed.

7 Likes

So not this dolphin?

This the only game I emulate on my Raspberry Pi MAME set up that’s not an actual arcade game. Retroarch is the frontend to Retropie there are all kinds of games available that are pretty easy to find.

It’s the one and only game me and my daughter played on the only game console we ever bought her, Sega Game Gear. We got nostalgic a few years ago, I found it so we could relive the early 90s.

We drove non stop from Michigan to Arizona, 36 hours, when she was 7 or 8, she had it mastered by the time we got there.

778500-937068_20070207_001

7 Likes

Such a fun game! I also played it on Game Gear.

So long and thanks for all the fish! :wink:

6 Likes

dolphins are jerks!

6 Likes

For those unaware, Dolphin was the codename for the development of the GameCube.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.