Don Cherry Finally Dumped

Is our long national embarrassment really over?

4 Likes

I didn’t realize there was another Don Cherry. My first thought was, “he’s been dead for almost a quarter-century, what the hell?!”

Better off with the dude from OKC…

7 Likes

He was kind of like your drunk uncle. When sticking to hockey he was kinda fun to listen to and it was also fun to see his suits every week. Otherwise hoo boy embarrassing to the max.

7 Likes

You didn’t miss a thing.

3 Likes

also Neneh “Buffalo Stance” Cherry’s dad, IIRC.

5 Likes

The CBC even gave Don Cheery a fond “origin story” movie based on his early life before joining the network as a “colorful commentator” about nine years back.

I think the problem is clearly that the times have moved on without him. Decades ago, hockey might have been a predominantly “white” sport and poking fun at Swedes might have been seen as innocuous as defending your favorite brand of cola.

But Canada has become increasingly diverse with more visible minorities than ever before, and you can’t just go around complaining about “you people” in an age of resurgent white supremacy.

If I give Don the benefit of the doubt, I could interpret what he meant to say as a general call to support the memory of Canadian troops even if you’re new to the country, but I don’t think the man has the capacity to say it with the eloquence required.

3 Likes
2 Likes

No, I think he meant it exactly as he said. His refusal to take back a word or offer any clarification should be enough to confirm that, but there’s also his long history of similar racist and right-wing rants.

2 Likes

This.
There wouldn’t be skits like this if he wasn’t known for it.

ETA I can’t find the one where he poopoos the 7 minute delay saying he can offend the French in less time than that.

2 Likes

He was a big fan of Rob Ford, back when anyone with a lick of sense was sure that Rob wasn’t right, but before the crack videos surfaced.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.