Carlson's bizarre Canada rant: "I watched when Montreal was cleansed of its Anglo legacy"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/26/carlsons-bizarre-canada-rant-i-watched-when-montreal-was-cleansed-of-its-anglo-legacy.html

3 Likes

Since when is “Canadians don’t have a sense of humor“ even a stereotype?

Is this just something Tucker assumed because no one in Canada laughs at his jokes?

35 Likes

Does Wikipedia maintain a List of People the World Would Be Better Off Without?

17 Likes

lack a sense of humor

IMG_3686

24 Likes

Or maybe he used to watch SCTV, and not get any of the jokes?

17 Likes

Surprised Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

22 Likes

So his worst nightmare is xQc?

The right wing just keeps getting weirder

4 Likes

Seal cotton?

20 Likes

It seems…peculiar…that the best example of ethnic cleansing he can come up with is some language-law fighting in Quebec(which is a thing; has been for years; most recently they’ve been going after anglophone universities) has been, at best, minimally related to immigration.

There certainly is some(and I think that movement out of Quebec but within Canada is less common for francophone than anglophone residents); but it’s not exactly the story of how a flood tide of french illegals washed over the province.

8 Likes

If the preacher he’s referring to is Artur Pawlowski, that guy was arrested for an armed blockade at the boarder, as well as multiple altercations in public, and had used the Proud Boys as security during rallies.

14 Likes

Maybe Tucker just doesn’t like funny Canadian’s?

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

15 Likes

strange brew GIF by Warner Archive

20 Likes

“I watched when Montreal was cleansed of its Anglo legacy”

I’m not Canadian, and certainly not a Canadian historian, but as I recall, Quebec was founded by France.

Beau of the Fifth Column posted an interesting thought today, one that I’ve believed for a very long time: that modern conservatives always romanticize “the past” - not the past of their childhood, but the past portrayed by TV shows of their childhood. I think Tucker’s memories of an Anglo Montreal begin there.

17 Likes

Alberta has a pretty strong far-right contingent who are quick to adopt American conspiracy theories and paranoia, according to acquaintances who live there. No surprise he found an audience there. But who is stupid enough to believe that “Anglos” have been purged from Montréal?! I hear more English than French when I’m there. More likely his friends were run out of town for being the kind of people who would be friends with him.

Add another data point to the long timeline of right wing Americans saying something stupid and easily disproven about Canada.

17 Likes

Canada does have one of the highest immigration rates in the world. And the vast majority of Canadians support this. Even the Conservatives strongly support immigration (they just want slightly less of it).

However, there’s now a lot of discussion around how well we support new Canadians (spoiler…it’s not great).

Tucker’s racism aside, most Canadians realize there are too few people in this country, not too many.

14 Likes

not for trying to castrate other people’s children

Uh, what?

Actually, never mind, I don’t even want to know what the fuck he’s talking about… given that it’s in the same sentence as claiming that Canada is throwing people in jail “just for preaching the Christian gospel”, it’s clearly delusional horseshit. Get the fuck out of our country, you festering sack of vomit.

14 Likes

It’s not really reality based, but this is the audience that believes cities and California are unlivable hellholes, climate change is a Chinese hoax, the civil war was about state’s rights, and all vaccines are bad. Don’t know that it’s the craziest lie he’s shoved into people’s heads.

10 Likes

No kidding! Canadian comedy has been a cornerstone of popular North American media since before I was alive!

David Rose Comedy GIF by Schitt's Creek

Sad Paul Sun-Hyung Lee GIF by Kim's Convenience

17 Likes

there are 5000 people in Letterkenny. these are their problems.

…but being funny was never one of them.

seriously, a country that produced one of the funniest comedies in tv history has no sense of humor. i don’t even know where to start with this cretin…

11 Likes

No, it’s all those french fries-eating, cheese-munching, Frenchies, emigrating from France to Canada, who will eventually racially replace all the anglo Canadians, that he’s really worried about. /s

(Was he traumatised by a French teacher at school?)

3 Likes