Don’t be like the #PlaneBae people

How did I managed to fully miss this one? I guess, I should count my blessings.

5 Likes

It blows my mind that this woman eavesdropped for hours on strangers (who had done her a favor, no less) but she never once felt like a creepy-ass stalker for listening in, speculating upon and then broadcasting the interaction?

What a self-absorbed asshole, her and her BF both.

28 Likes

If their channel is monitized, in many places they might need a model release from the people.

17 Likes

Some photography competitions ask for these documents too.

3 Likes

http://chainsawsuit.com/comic/2018/01/04/huntyr-chase-vlogger/

1 Like

My friend Pedro does handyman work, and sometimes he needs to hire a laborer to help him lift or haul something.

If they’re of the smartphone generation, he has to warn them about not broadcasting video of the insides of his customer’s houses, and if he doesn’t watch them like a hawk they’ll do it anyway.

13 Likes

I was thinking that the unnamed woman “Helen” may have cause to sue Rosey Blair, since she never consented to be recorded and she’s since been harassed online behind this foolishness.

8 Likes

Let’s be clear though lest we slide into generationalism; not all young people are inconsiderate assholes. It only takes a few million out of hundreds of millions to poison the well.

17 Likes

Long ago, in the 1980s, a Brazilian model was on a beach in Rio de Janeiro, minding her businesses, when a photographer slipped behind her and took a picture of her buttocks.

This photo was used by an advertising agency in a TV campaign for a state bank.

This model saw the infamous ad and recognized her anatomy and sued the agency. A renowned plastic surgeon was contracted to analyze the photo and model in person. After this examination, she proved that the bikini girl in the photo was herself.

She made a small fortune for the time.

Unfortunately I cannot find a link with a text for this in English.

5 Likes

And what if it is just a stunt? And what if it is just a commercial stunt? It is just a hypothetical question, not related to the facts described in this post.

Thanx for this; I’ll keep it in my back pocket (along with ‘‘baboso’’) for the right time. But is that a hard “c” or soft “c”?

I had to research this. Thank you .

From what I understand, the C in asshole is hard. That word is pronounced like Barack. There is the passive bacaba and proactive babaca. Proactive must be the equivalent of your douchebag or a*hole.Thee passive one is the naive person, who has been deceived by a politician, for example.

3 Likes

I figured it meant “drooler” or “slobberer,” like baboso, which IIRC literally means “slug”

1 Like

I had to research it again. It was as an african slang for the female genitals. It is offensive, but according to the wikipedia, its English equivalent is MUCH more offensive. I won’t repeat it here, The meaning of this word has changed over time both in english and portuguese.

Oh, the surprises of the etymology.

5 Likes

A ‘stunt’ that Rosey Blair tried to profit from, without the informed consent of the people she was exploiting?

IANAL, but people have won court cases over less…

7 Likes

Unfortunately, if you are in public in the USA, in most places there is “no expectation of privacy” so you may be photographed, videotaped, or audio captured without needing a release signed. Exceptions are things like bathrooms, changing rooms, or other places where you are explicitly private.

Everywhere I go, I see at least 1 person in a group doing the livefeed thing. This weekend, at IKEA’s cafe, a rude young man decided to broadcast from the next table (IKEA has free wifi!) while we were eating in the background. As soon as I saw it, I turned so I wasn’t as visible in the shot. I hate being videoed unless I’m in makeup and costume, so I am very uncomfortable with being in the background of the cinéma vérité/free data stream in any case.
There are a lot of things young people do that I don’t like, being a crotchety old lady now, but the egregious use of phones and drones to capture free data for Big Data their lives as it happens for the world thru social media is one of the worst.

12 Likes

Ya, I just do not get it. You go out in public, you are out in public, you have no expectation of privacy.

If nothing else this is a good reminder, you are in fucking public, do not do things you would be embarrassed to do in public.

1 Like

Whuffie – despite its claims to being ‘‘meritocratic’’ – ends up pooling up around sociopathic jerks who know how to flatter, cajole, or terrorize their way to the top. Once you have a lot of Whuffie – once a lot of people hold you to be reputable – other people bend over backwards to give you opportunities to do things that make you even more reputable, putting you in a position where you can speechify, lead, drive the golden spike, and generally take credit for everything that goes well, while blaming all the screw-ups on lesser mortals.

17 Likes

Interesting… one of the Spanish words for bread, and an Amharic word for bread, are both slang terms for the female genitalia (in spite of them being unrelated languages).

I avoid plane flight like the bubonic plague. It’s works for me…

2 Likes