Don’t be like the #PlaneBae people

I think what should cause you distress is the potential of it being you that’s the target of attention - or a friend, or SO, etc.

Sadly, this advice is only broadly applicable in America to white guys. Everyone else understands that they may be harassed at any time for any reason.

13 Likes

So I should never leave my house? Ever? I already don’t leave for weeks at a time, but even I end up going outside sometimes.

7 Likes

Great, now I know what #PlaneBae is …

2 Likes

It’s a handy flowchart applicable in such a situation.

how%20not%20to%20be%20a%20dick%20flowchart%20-%20don't%20be%20a%20dick

16 Likes

Regret…

3 Likes

The overlap between people who will tell you what does and does not hurt you, and those that lack empathy, is vast.

3 Likes

I think it’s perfectly fair to call out someone who feels it’s okay to scream racial epithets in public, to call the cops on people for merely existing, to beat the living crap out of someone for having the wrong skin colour, or not being “from here”. If you want to abuse someone else, you should have that called out. Abuse flourishes in cultures of silence and civility. Look at the violent white supremacists we’re seeing, like the guy at Northrup Grumman, who face zero consequences until their actions are made public.

Those are not people who are quietly living their lives. I also do not feel sorry for the shame given to those who have chosen to grab hold of the levers of power, use that power to actively harm others, then complain when they are exposed and shamed for that. There is a very real difference.

16 Likes

It also opens the door to another good reminder. Phones are fragile and not generally waterproof.

9 Likes

I would make one correction to that. “Are you being a dick?” should be “Do other people think you are being a dick?”

It would still be a bit too open to interpretation, but at least it removes the sociopath’s excuse of “I don’t think I’m being a dick so I will carry on”

10 Likes

I think @BakaNeko is asking a serious question about the concept of this kind of behaviour being used with everyone’s consent as a publicity stunt.

At risk of derailing the thread, I’ll try to answer! :grin:

And that is to say, “meh”. If all are consenting then there is no legal problem. If it is discovered early then it will fail and the promoters will be ridiculed. If it succeeds for long enough then the promoters have accomplished their goal. And if it is discovered later then hopefully the people who followed it will be ashamed and not be such babosos next time!

1 Like

She could call it “art”:

What a clod.

7 Likes

Oh. What a relief. It was just art in a airplane!

1 Like

Several possible reasons.

• generally made by women for the sustenance of all (i.e. “source of life”)
  • hand-formed loaves have a similar outline when viewed from, well, several angles!
  • yeast
    (Probably other things I’m not thinking of yet.)
1 Like

Also, I think our small scale spectacle culture is much more like Brave New World than 1984… Or like some of Ballard’s books set in upper middle class suburban neighborhoods. Huxley, Ballard, Burroughs, and Doctorow got something about the future that Orwell didn’t (but of course, Orwell was talking about his present).

8 Likes

Good luck with that one!

1 Like

I withheld my attention, but obnoxious and inappropriate behavior continues to go unopposed. What am I doing wrong?

10 Likes

This is a very important distinction. It’s only a matter of time before someone came here to whinge “what about Huckabee-Sanders or Permit Patty getting harassed, librul BoingBoing hypocrites,” so I’m glad you got there ahead of them.

9 Likes

What Cory points out here is one of the things that leads to what I call the “glass floor” effect: individuals (usually privileged ones) whose reputations have been touted and burnished and invested in so much by the powers-that-be to the degree that when the person screws up or get caught in shady behaviour they’re not allowed to fail (at least for a while). Instead of ending up in well-deserved poverty and obscurity, if not prison, they’re given chance after chance after chance by their patrons and champions.

Examples include Stephen Glass, Jonah Lehrer, Elizabeth Holmes, the Affluenza Kid dirtbag murderer, and convicted rapist Brock Turner. You may have one of these annointed ones in your workplace or family, but it’s also the actor or musician who makes you ask yourself “how does this person keep getting gigs?”

11 Likes