Don’t be like the #PlaneBae people

So, wait, we should all stop going to peopleofwalmart.com ?

(Just kidding, I didn’t start.)

1 Like

Absolutely correct. I work in the stock photography industry and we require signed model releases for anyone recognizable in an image or video, doesn’t matter if they are front and center or 1000 yards in the distance.

I hope they do sue, they will win immediately if these folks profited one cent off the usage of their image

8 Likes

But they can sue her, even if she doesn’t make a Penny with these photos, can’t they?

1 Like

I think you might not get it. “Reasonable expectation of privacy” is a legal matter; most wholly developed as a “do state agents need a warrant for that?” test, with some secondary applications in “can I compel private actors to stop doing that?” testing.

The question of whether something is legal is more or less orthogonal to whether doing it makes you an asshole. It’s true that many methods of being an asshole by recording people in public for the amusement of the internet are quite legal; but that’s not the crux of this particular matter; which is a good ↔ evil alignment question, rather than a lawful ↔ chaotic one.

9 Likes

Absolutely. As long as we’re only shaming that behaviour, and not other aspects. Calling someone a white person is not shaming. Calling them a racist when they are clearly engaged in blatant racist behaviour is fair enough. Making fun of their dental hygiene or their weight is bullying and can hurt those who share that characteristic, but would never hurt anyone, ever.

It’s not that difficult to do.

6 Likes

hard to say, I’m only really experienced with the commercial use/editorial use side of things. It’s pretty black and white there.

My guess is that if they can prove they made zero profit off the images it would an uphill battle for the subjects to prove they were negatively impacted- most likely the best they could hope for is the images being taken down

2 Likes

One of my favorite jokes/bits of wisdom:

Little Tony was sitting on a park bench munching
on one candy bar after another.
After the 6th candy bar, a man on the bench across from him said,
“Son, you know eating all that candy isn’t good for you.
It will give you acne, rot your teeth, and make you fat.”

Little Tony replied, “My grandfather lived to be 107 years old.”

The man asked, “Did your grandfather eat 6 candy bars at a time?”

Little Tony answered, “No, he minded his own fucking business.”

12 Likes

Hold on there, buckaroo! Context certainly matters. In other words, different behavior is “normal” in different types of public spaces.

If you’re in a public park, throwing sticks for a dog to fetch is perfectly acceptable. The same is not true in the grocery store. And the unknown-to-you world-at-large has no need (or right) to watch and comment on your stick-throwing techniques or your produce-selection prowess.

To what extent does a commercial flight qualify as public space, anyway? They are a private carrier. They certainly have the right to tell you to turn off your danged phone.

9 Likes

This is absolutely a crime in the State of New York. NY Civil Rights Law Sec. 50: “Right of privacy. A person, firm or corporation that uses for advertising purposes, or for the purposes of trade, the name, portrait or picture of any living person without having first obtained the written consent of such person, or if a minor of his or her parent or guardian, is guilty of a misdemeanor.”

It is also civilly actionable under Sec. 51 of the the same statute, with injunctions, fees, and even exemplary damages over and above the value of the harm caused as penalties.

3 Likes

Enough is Enough!!! I have had it with these Mother F&#-#in Arts…

3 Likes

Welcome to BoingBoing!

cheers-coffee_small

8 Likes

Honestly idgaf, i just avoid nonsense like this to begin with. Don’t like people doing this shit? Don’t give them your attention.

Right? We all get the same number of minutes in a day. I can’t afford to be “distressed” by acts of aggression at what looks to me like an every-day noise kind of childishness. Inaction (and ignoring) doesn’t mean a lack of empathy.

Would the “targets” have been better off had someone intervened to stop the “bullies” in real time, in public? (It may be the case, I haven’t watched either one of these videos, but I doubt it’s the case.)

Does my potential response (either direct, or by yelling at clouds) present any possible benefit to any of the involved parties (either in terms of harm prevention, or in terms of character education) or to society in general?

I don’t intend it to come across as critical of the editor/s who posted the article but for me personally I think ignoring is often the most broadly useful response to certain things I see on the internet. Yes I realize I failed at doing that just now. Moving on… la la la

1 Like

Being in public is different from being recorded in public. I didn’t sign up to be part of your reality TV show. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

From what i’ve seen online there has been enough of a vocal pushback against this particular thing that the tweets about PlaneBae have been deleted. Cool i guess, but as i mentioned, i personally just don’t care and while i really don’t have better things to do with my time i still prefer not to waste mine getting involved with these sorts of “viral” things.

Even if Boing Boing hadn’t posted this story, that would not negate all the harassment that the unnamed woman has been experiencing since Rosey Blair decided to exploit the interaction of two strangers without their consent.

One person (or a dozen or even a hundred people) choosing to “just ignore” content like this doesn’t undo the damage that’s been done in the face of countless thousands who actively feed into it.

BTW, Rosey Blair has since taken down the tweets and apologized.

But you’re just one person.

8 Likes

Yeah, honestly, probably so. The internet is sort of full of this sort of humor, mocking those who are different, poor, seemingly strange. It’s too often used as a means to make some people feel superior to others.

5 Likes

Just you wait until i can clone myself

6 Likes

That speaks to severe poor self esteem, on a seriously massive level.

8 Likes

Well when every human is expected to be a marketable finished product at all times and to treat themselves and each other as such… what do we get but inhumanity and non-human standards…

Truth! I think capitalism is in part responsible for that. We constantly watch media filled with people who seem to have more successful and fulfilling lives (both fictional and “real”). Most of us probably struggle in some form or another in our lives (on any number of levels), and all those images of success we’re subjected to on a daily basis, which can’t be good for our self-esteem… It’s like that Swans song, failure… which was apparently, a song about his dad:

I, I’ve been lonely
And I, I’ve been blind
And I,. I’ve learned nothing
So my hands are firmly tied
To the sinking leadweight
of failure

I’ve worked hard all my life
Money slips through my hands
My face in the mirror tells me
It’s no surprise that I’m
Pushing the stone up the hill
of failure