Donald Trump changes course: vows to deport homeowners who encounter squatters (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/03/donald-trump-changes-course-vows-to-deport-homeowners-who-encounter-squatters-video.html

4 Likes

19 Likes

I hope that he has many more “confused moments” that can’t be re-interpreted or explained away.

12 Likes

No, Donald, you can’t call Melania a squatter so you can deport her.

12 Likes

I was about to ask, “Deport me to where?” But then I realized their plan is to have camps that are legally outside US jurisdiction, so I guess that’s what he means? (jk, he has no idea what he means, but I could see his ghouls coming up with this sort of plan.)

15 Likes

He swirched mid-sentence from “you” the homeowner to “you” the squatter.

5 Likes

tumblr_muoapibVYq1qehnuso1_1280

6 Likes

I think the UK had plans to deport migrants to Somalia, regardless of where their home nations were. Partly because Somalia was willing to take payment to accept anyone England shipped to them, partly because the most horrifying thing a Tory can imagine is a whole nation run by Black people. :confused:

11 Likes

It’s Rwanda, not Somalia, and they still fully intend to do it.

11 Likes

Thank you for the correction – and I’d assumed they’d been chased away from the idea, since it was so demented. But as always, the cruelty is the point. :frowning:

10 Likes

The tories have been told more than once that it is illegal, so they expressed the desire to change the laws preventing it. tophat-wow Despite being told they can’t do that, either, they’re still trying to figure out a way to do it.

They’re also trying to get rid of existing human rights standards.

12 Likes

I’ve been seeing a lot of (right-wing) noise about “squatters” on social media lately, and I’ve been wondering what’s behind this. Whatever it is, I guess it’s percolated up to Turnip being aware of it. (I can see why it would especially resonate with Mr Real Estate Scams…)

6 Likes

Mexico. Just put you on a bus and drop you off on the side of the road somewhere.

Mexico isn’t thrilled with the idea either.

8 Likes

I’m sure there will be an accounting for seizing the assets of the deportees as well. Gotta make a profit on it somehow.

11 Likes

It’s not like they’re going to put them on the bus with you. They probably won’t even have a manifest of who was on the bus.

7 Likes

Its part and parcel with Neo-Nazi “Replacement” bullshit.
“They are coming here and taking your homes away!!!”

9 Likes

You don’t need a manifest when you are sending people to mass graves.

8 Likes

Oh, I understand how it would fit into Republican fear-mongering, I’m just not sure why now and how it suddenly is being talked about everywhere. All I can figure is a particularly egregious case got picked up by Fox (or similar) and they repeated the story until it went viral, but it usually takes a lot of (e.g. Republican politicians) picking up and pushing the narrative for it to suddenly spring up like that, and I’m not aware of anything like that in this case.

2 Likes

I apologize ahead of time for the long post
There was a Tiktok which is making its rounds among the Wingnutsphere which is getting amplified by broadcast & print media. (not going to link to it). It allegedly has an illegal alien giving instructions as to how to trespass and steal a property.

“We think there might be several things at play here [including] election-year fearmongering in a housing market that’s increasingly difficult for working-class families to navigate,” said Eviction Lab spokesperson Camila Vallejo, whose organization tracks evictions and analyzes policy.

Vallejo also said the squatter fears coincide with a rise in the number of migrants looking for housing in cities like New York. The city is facing a homelessness crisis and dire housing shortage, and less than 1% of apartments priced below $2,400 are vacant and available to rent, according to its most recent housing survey.

“By all measures, squatting is extremely rare,” said Vallejo. “There is no evidence that we know of that shows that squatting accounts for a meaningful portion of eviction cases or that the number of squatting-related eviction cases is increasing.”

This brand of fearmongering frequently returns to three primary threats facing the right-wing audience: Right-wing propagandists warn that America’s streets are overrun by violent criminals, that columns of Third World migrants are invading the country across its purportedly open southern border, and that terrorists are preparing to strike within the U.S. (In each case, the threats to the predominantly white audience typically come from nonwhite people.)

11 Likes

Ah, so that’s it!

2 Likes