NYT seems to think "The Final Solution" was a bold housing policy

Originally published at: NYT seems to think "The Final Solution" was a bold housing policy - Boing Boing

13 Likes

Is there no bottom? Can their behaviour sink any further?

They have no “bottom” as it used to mean in English (moral fibre, standards) at least.

Shocking but not surprising these days.

14 Likes

Reason 846 I won’t be renewing my subscription. I want to support journalism, but this is not that.

18 Likes

Anybody have a good crossword app they like? I gotta get this NYT shit off of my phone.

11 Likes

FoxNews now has a games app. I haven’t tried it, though.

11 Likes

I don’t have an app, but I have a great link to daily crosswords around the webs.

Most of these allow you to solve on the website.

9 Likes

Hey, NYT, when Jonathan Swift suggested eating Irish children it was SATIRE.

19 Likes

This was actually a thing during the early 1940s. Speer and Himmler were in cut-throat competition to grab the newly-vacated properties in Berlin for resale.

9 Likes

Shortyz on Android downloads puzzles from various locations. Sensibly designed. It has nothing to do with Will Shortz.

4 Likes

Joe Kahn and the Bothsides Gang seem to be going for the all-time record for turd polishing.

5 Likes

Good satire catches out the unwary by mimicking the tone of the satirised. You could absolutely write Nazi policy in the NYT voice and it could pass unnoticed on their pages.

But then you wouldn’t have to. They do it themselves…

9 Likes

I use one called “Crosswords” (catchy, eh?) from Stand Alone, Inc.. I first got it for my Palm Pre many years ago, and I’ve used it on every phone I’ve owned since then. It’s available for iOS, Android, macOS, and Windows.

4 Likes

Besides all the humanitarian horrors entailed in Trump’s mass deportation plan and the utter infeasability of making it work, there are two huge factors that the GOP hasn’t even begun to discuss:

1. How would the government even finance mass deportations on that scale? Apprehending, processing and transporting 11 million people is not something our government has the resources to do, especially since Republicans have refused to authorize money for more immigration judges to help work through the backlog of immigration cases we already have.
  2. Even if the government could make it work, the economic impact of dropping 11 million workers out of the economy overnight would be devastating, and the labor shortages would disproportionally impact the prices of the very things Americans are most concerned about such as groceries.
12 Likes

I also have a suspicion that the nightmare wouldn’t actually change the price of housing at all, since poor immigrants aren’t the reason it’s expensive in the first place. But I don’t know, maybe there are some Marcus Crassuses out there who could manage to make even more money off of it, and that’s all that matters to these nasal leeches. :rage:

16 Likes

Especially all the migrant workers who often don’t have permanent housing at all.

Not to mention how much the cost of new construction would go up in the event of a labor shortage.

14 Likes

well, yeah, that’s what the two experts said.

In fact, the policy could prove counterproductive. Ms. Fairweather also noted that 25 percent of construction workers were foreign-born so mass deportations may also reduce the labor pool available to build new homes and apartment buildings.

but they managed to get Albert Saiz (MIT) and Daryl Fairweather (Redfin) to take the bait. Maybe those two should squirm a little.

7 Likes

I think that’s the one where you can fill in the grid with nonsense and then insist your answers are correct.

9 Likes

But, but…they’re stealing our jerbs! There are clearly millions of MAGAts ready and willing to do grueling farm work for pennies, but they’ve been cruelly denied those opportunities.

11 Likes

Georgia did this experiment over a decade ago. It ended very badly. Why the hell would we do it again?

13 Likes

This was the thinking behind the neutron bomb, elimination of the current residents, while still preserving the sanctity of property.

10 Likes