Donald Trump extends his "day one" dictatorship to "four years and beyond" (video)

Originally published at: Donald Trump extends his "day one" dictatorship to "four years and beyond" (video) - Boing Boing

1 Like

You don’t say?
Well, surprise, surprise, surprise!

10 Likes

Or he could extend his “day one” prison stay for “four years and beyond.” That’s still a possibility. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I wonder how the corporate media is going to downplay it this time.

10 Likes

Nancy Pelosi No Surprise GIF by GIPHY News

13 Likes

Believe it or not, Donald, democratic limits provide some security for leaders too. Because nobody is ever more than dictator for life. :angry:

9 Likes

“But that’s what he’s doing to play to his base, as soon as he’s installed as a dictator, he’ll want to pivot to become more presidential…”

12 Likes

And that millions of my fellow citizens are in avid approval of such overt evil autocratic assurance will form the shambling Weltschmerz i’ll take to my grave -sigh-

9 Likes

Everybody on both sides already knew this. Saying it out loud only hurts him if it can be used as evidence to get him locked up, which I really wish they’d fucking hurry up and do.

18 Likes

No, the point is always to normalize it step by step. That’s why he started with a day even though only a fool would ever believe that. It benefits him by breaking the headline “Trump seizes power” – you know, if he can – into little pieces that are each not surprising and the media can present without alarm.

10 Likes

Can’t hear you because Joe Biden is old.

1 Like

How about:
"Dictatorship isn’t a bad thing per se. The Romans did it, and our Founding Fathers® loved the Romans. They were inspired by them when they established and formed our great nation. They even named one of our great cities after a Roman dictator."

Coming up next: slavery. Stay tuned.

7 Likes

Ostrich Avestruz GIF by Amnistía Internacional España

10 Likes

Trump for Prison 2024!

11 Likes

The perfect example of two Trump phenomena - his usual projection (made abundantly clear), and saying something outrageous and having his apologists on the right (and mainstream media) explain it was a joke/he didn’t mean it, only for him to clarify that yes, he totally meant it.

12 Likes

Kim Il Sung is still considered the president of North Korea despite having died in 1994. Trump probably sees this as aspirational along with replacing elections with dynastic rule.

6 Likes

As shitty as Nikki Haley is, I hope she has a good showing in Iowa today, something that she can build on. IIRC Ted Cruz won in 2016, but we all know how that ended up going.

I think it is a long shot, but it wasn’t that long ago when DeSantis was looking super strong even before he was campaigning and now look at the schmuck.

2 Likes

Sure. Does this work? :grin:

13 Likes

All the more reason to make damn sure he has no chance to do so.
The best we can hope for is for him to croak, first…

Bad for him = good for the rest of us.

Projection again, as per usual.

He is right, what with redisticting/gerrymandering, voter supression, purging of voter rolls, and all the other election fuckery his party has made into an art form.
Even a blind pig finds an acorn every now & then.

4 Likes

A 14-second video clip circulated on X (formally Twitter) in which Trump is heard uttering the words “four years and beyond.” While the short clip was a genuine recording from a Trump speech in Indianola, Iowa, on Jan. 14, 2024, it was taken out of context. He was not taking about his presidential hopes. He was talking about Iowa’s status as the first U.S. state to hold caucuses in presidential elections. He said he and his supporters will push to keep it that way for “four years and beyond.”

1 Like