Don't be a "spiritual" narcissist

It kinda makes me think of the signs on workman’s vans around here “No self stored in vehicle overnight”

2 Likes

My answer has always been a simple “ok”, delivered with a smile.
‘What, does that mean you agree?’ “Ok.” ‘You don’t agree or you’re making fun of me?’ “Ok.”
After several volleys their heads explode and they go away.

1 Like

Incidentally, the podcast series “Guru: The Dark Side of Enlightenment” about what led to the fatal Arizona sweat lodge kind of touches on this. Highly recommend. I would say these kind of movements definitely attract -leaders- who are narcissists.

1 Like

Ah yes, the well-tread Californian cycle: newly-arrived would-be entrepreneurs with a gleam in their eye, the sweat equity of grinding towards thought leadership on social media, diversions as influencers and DTC “experiments”, a fade from technical relevance to hanger-on barnacle status, entheogens as a tourist at Burning Man, and finally–once the moving-the-goalposts project management effluvia dries up and can no longer be readily filter-fed and fat–a choice between aggressively performative spiritualism and joining the vocal techxodus.

4 Likes

I always think of the California heat-engine cycle. Hot summer interiors draw in coastal fog, cooling the interiors and heating the coasts till the valley mists burn off and the cycle repeats. Apply that metaphorically to humans influxing for a better life and exodusing when they burn out. It’s cosmic.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.