Don't carry a gun with Punisher logo on it

How about just don’t Punisher logo anything? For fuck’s sake.

13 Likes

I think my favorites are still the porcelain ones by Yvonne Lee Schultz

http://www.yvonneleeschultz.com/work/porcelain-pistol/

2 Likes

I recently saw this idiot on Reddit that painted up some Hello Kitty guns for his wife and couldn’t help but think that the flippant disregard for power of said weapon would be obvious in any resulting court case, glad to see even a gun-friendly attorney would agree with me. These people treat deadly weapons like they’re fashion items or worse, toys.

7 Likes

When I see a gun with a fictional vigilant/murderer logo or painted like a toy or a fashion accessory I can’t help but think its owner didn’t take seriously enough his killing tool.
I guess I am the kind of person who annoy this layer in jury.
Maybe he should try to give more useful advices like “carry a gun only when necessary : that is to say never”.

3 Likes

He’ll never stop being a Spider-man villain in my mind.

6 Likes

17 posts were split to a new topic: Please dont engage people after they’ve asked you not to

Sensible advice. Don’t stand out and don’t give the prosecutor a narrative hook.

4 Likes

That was the part that caught me too. I suspect it’s largely true though.

1 Like

Chris Kyle’s SEAL Team painted the Punisher skull logo on their gear. Around the same time it became popular throughout the military. And then civilians started putting it all over their make believe gear. It’s cosplayers cosplaying cosplayers, but none of them know it’s cosplay and all the weapons and deaths and injuries are real.

Obligatory:

17 Likes

He talks about those in the video as well. Basically they still make more work for him, but as long as he can spin it that the gadget you stuck to your gun helped save your life then go for it.

Sounds exceedingly superficial to me. Saying that it shouldn’t be pink is also a “fashion” choice. Weapons are traditionally dark and matte for stealth purposes. So who seems to have the more legitimate case of having a weapon: the person who needs to sneak around in the dark, or the person who treats it like an everyday tool?

I can imagine typically inconsistent people also positing the exact opposite argument if somebody made their firearm all grimdark. See? I covered it with fake blood and skulls, because I take very seriously that this is an implement of death!

I don’t trust people’s drives towards spurious cultural norms. It’s an eggshell walk where a “respectful” appearance must be “neutral”. Except - everything is value-laden, and an honest attempt to interrogate what a neutral, normal appearance is supposed to be will assuredly yield just another power game to impose one’s values.

7 Likes

4 Likes

Start 'em out early…

2 Likes

seems kind of obvious. Or maybe not:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/03/robert-farago/cops-ar-15-dust-cover-inscription-used-against-him-in-court/

Not going to watch now, but maybe later, but yes, there are many cautionary tales out there.

Massad Ayoob is a well known gun writer who is both a cop and a trainer and been called as an expert witness in many trials. He has seen many things used as leverage against defendants in self defense trials and has written many articles warning people about how to stay out of trouble. You want anything involved in self defense to be as squeaky clean as possible. Some of his suggestions are, honestly, a bit over kill. But then again he has seen some of them presented in court, and other things suggested to be used in court.

So some advice:

Yes, don’t put anything ornamental that could cast you as someone just looking to “deal justice”. A Rambo wanna be. Skulls, sayings, etc. Anything used in defense needs to be neutral in that respect.

The colored gun thing - eh - I may agree if it was a custom gun, but some come in colors. I think especially if used by a woman it wouldn’t be as damaging.

Avoid some of the new ammo billed as being extra lethal. Whether that is just marketing hype or not, it will be used to show you want to kill people, not use it for defense.

But do only use factory ammo. Hand loads have been demonized same as above.

Consider your caliber. Keep it inline with what law enforcement uses. So yeah, no .44mag. There is a guy in jail right now because he had a 10mm pistol and was branded as a deranged Dirty Harry (though the FBI used to use it).

Avoid extra customization beyond perhaps sights and lights and grips. i.e. no match triggers or something that will reduce reliability, showing negligence.

However, for colors or other ornamentation for NON defense guns, it does add some personality and can look nice. In the case of guns used in competition they just add to the whole “race” gun vibe.

7 Likes

A friend was told at gun school to always kill a home intruder while being careful to never shoot in the back, and if you havent already done so, piss your pants.

2 Likes

Not everyone can carry a cop with them.

3 Likes

Toys that they fantasize killing people with, no less. A conservative forum I’m on, they definitely make coded references to all the people they would love to shoot. Yup, it’s all the people you’d think.

5 Likes

You mean everyone who’s not one of them?

4 Likes

I think I would agree with you for any other object/clothing/tool on the “neutral being serious” point.
But guns are not tools like the others. Especially in a suppose self defence context. People aren’t comfortable with the consumerist culture trivializing guns.

1 Like