Gun YouTuber who almost killed himself explains how it wasn't his fault

Originally published at: Gun YouTuber who almost killed himself explains how it wasn't his fault | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Oh No Eating GIF by Declan McKenna

17 Likes

Are we sure a wascawwy wabbit didn’t stick a carrot in the end of the barrel?

37 Likes

I see we have another one of those “responsible gun owners” American ammosexuals always use to justify their their supposed Second Amendment right to own lots of phallic totems.

40 Likes

I do not shoot at the local range because of morons like this guy. It’s ridiculous how inept & poorly trained gun nuts are, yet armed to the teeth cuz of freedums.

33 Likes

Go to any range in America on any day and I guarantee you that when there are more than a dozen people there you’ll find at least one or two morons like this.

24 Likes

Roger That!

12 Likes

23 Likes

was looking for info about the style of round that did the exploding, and was served up this vid

19 Likes

He goes on to explain that the round he was firing was known to be unreliable because it was of unknown provenance and hasn’t been produced in decades.

“Not my fault I was shooting 20 year old ammo from god knows where”

46 Likes

I’m not spending twenty minutes on this guy. Just link me to the part where the gun explodes.

16 Likes

TLDR: Don’t fire the wrong ammunition through your gun.

23 Likes

i got u https://youtu.be/1449kJKxlMQ?t=266

21 Likes

Thanks, friend!

Heh, it blowed his hat off. Nice touch.

8 Likes

Like anything else, about 10% of a hobby gets asymptotically stupid about it.

8 Likes

Forgotten Weapons (the only good gun YouTube channel) has a good thing on this, and generally the failure modes of guns:

13 Likes

The detailed failure analysis is interesting to people (like me) who think that materials physics are fascinating. Not everyone is.

Shorter, though, is this: the root cause was somewhere in the frontal lobes of the control system. In this case, it seems to have been the Challenger Syndrome: “We exceeded the design limits by X last time and it worked OK. This time we’ll be OK at X+ε.” Repeat until catastrophic failure.

28 Likes

Everybody is a “responsible gun owner” until, mysteriously, they are not. And the responsible ones can tut tut and write them off as exceptions.

22 Likes

But unlike a lot of other hobbies, the consequences with firearms often involve death or maiming (and not always of the idiot handling the weapon).

21 Likes

Is that 10% per hour or per day?

Because I am close friends or family with 11 gun owners, and every single one has had at least one potentially deadly incident with a firearm. One is the most responsible person I know; has peoples’ lives in his hands every day, and had the scariest incident of all 11.

14 Likes