Don't carry a gun with Punisher logo on it

Somehow I prefer more European approach when possible :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it’s safe to say that at least 99% of the world’s population can’t carry a cop with them. That’s not the problem here. The problem is: can you take a stroll in your neighborhood without the risk of being mugged by criminals, or harrassed by policemen? It’s called ‘Freedom’, if you can.

3 Likes

To where? Planet Vulcan? And good luck with that, given the latest Star Trek timeline.

2 Likes

I was always disgusted by the idea of Kyle driving through Iraqi cities and villages with the Punisher logo for just that reason. Out of context, its a fucking skull. In context, you’re a fucking vigilante. I dont understand how higher-ups let him get away with it. Its not just unprofessional; it’s fucked up.

But, it could be worse. This is the worst:
american troops in iraq displaying Nazi SS flag

10 Likes

What. The. Fuck?

3 Likes

Smallpox infested blankets Lord Amherst?

4 Likes

God, I hope that’s just a photoshop.

I haven’t seen these being used as personal self-defense measure in European Union, wouldn’t be very practical too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Keep hoping! The explanation given was that SS stands for “Scout Sniper” and they were “confused” (sure, just like Uncle Leo in the Seinfeld episode where he’s caught shoplifting books). OK then, how to explain this:
american troops displaying stars and bars

6 Likes

This is what happens when you use a rune for you initials and are ignorant to the other meanings. Or know and don’t care.

SS runes have been used unofficially for Marine Scout Snipers. It’s against Marine policy and supposed to have been squashed.

That’s easy, its Marines from the south. Less egregious than the runs IMO.

2 Likes

How can anyone be ignorant of this particular one?

7 Likes

Given the routine suggestions to guillotine people around here, I’ll chalk that down to “human nature” not “political preference”

1 Like

If it’s for self-defense, ideally you don’t even want to shoot, just keep someone who threatens you at bay by brandishing it-- if they see what looks like a toy gun, chances are they’ll just laugh. You will basically have to fire it for them to know it’s real.

(sorry-- long thread, I’m sure someone has already brought this up.)

5 Likes

The designer of the gun1) had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. ‘Make it evil,’ he’d been told. ‘Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it, then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with.’
Douglas Adams - The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

1) The Kill-O-Zap gun

5 Likes

1 Like

The two hardest-won victories in the history of the United States Military were

1. Defeating the Confederacy
  2. Defeating the Nazis

I find it hard to believe that a group of U.S. Marines would be ignorant of the meaning behind either symbol.

11 Likes

I’d suggest even being careful about the brand of ammo used: “Devastator”, “Hornady® Zombie Max Handgun Ammunition” (for real brand) and other such marketing silliness will come back to bite you.

Even the name of the weapon, if overly macho/aggressive/etc may be used to make you look like Rambo Jr.

And often not even then. Ironically, many towns in the “wild west” outlawed firearms within town limits.

Yep, because the gun-fondler’s fantasy is part of the mainstream gun culture, so it’s cool (relatively) .

It was even worse when it was adopted by police officers. Explicit message: “Yes, we are extra-judicial racist murderers!” (It was more than one police department, too.)

8 Likes

I’d say most of those suggestions are directed pretty specifically at the oligarchs, rather than just at anyone we disagree with.

2 Likes

For the Runes - to my second point, if they know about it, they don’t care. I can’t pretend to know what goes on in their minds, but having a whole Scout Sniper platoon (or whatever they are grouped in) comprised of Nazis or even white supremacists is unlikely. More likely they are bad asses stealing the imagery of previous bad asses, with out thought or care about how it may reflect. This doesn’t make it right or acceptable, but there are many examples of people using mascots or imagery of past military units and foes as their own mascots or imagery. I mean if you read about the history of the Spartans, eh, they did some pretty barbaric shit back in the day - but we still name High School teams after them due their “never surrender” attitude. But there has been 2000+ yeas since they were around.

As for the Confederate symbol, considering it is still used in state flags, and I am sure is in some National Guard units as their unit symbol, using it as a uniting symbol of a small unit from the south I bet isn’t uncommon. Especially when it also had more pop culture acceptance than it does today.

I don’t have a problem with military units adopting skull imagery, as their jobs are supposed to entail causing death. The POLICE using it is losing the fucking plot.

2 Likes