Don't get this close to a tornado

Some people just have no sense of self-preservation.

2 Likes

12 Likes

“We’ve got cows!”

1 Like

When I was going to art school in Denver in the mid-90s, a small-ish tornado touched down on the roof of the K-Mart across the street from us and tore it up pretty good. It was crazy. Crazier was how many of us were standing by the glass doors and windows watching. Young, dumb, and immortal.

2 Likes

War Boy, You Will Arrive At the Gates of Valhalla, All Shiny and Chrome

1 Like

I like how these idiots risk their lives for some really shitty video. Maybe take some lessons on how to hold a camera steady and learn to pan.

“Another cow”
“No, I think that’s the same cow”

3 Likes

Don’t want to be THAT guy, but we all know that this is an FX shot, right?

3 Likes

That particular video is a fake, so your instincts as a Kansan are dead-on. Dust-devils are not that powerful.

2 Likes

The only way that would have happened is if the camera was bolted down to something solid. And that’s under the assumption the something solid didn’t get tossed up in the air. Did you not notice the semi-truck flatbed casually strewn across the road?

3 Likes

Correct, and I never asserted this to the contrary.

I would argue the geography itself creates the atmospheric conditions. I.e. the Rockies are perfectly situated to produce the necessary conditions for the development of large storm cells.

It’s been ages since I studied meteorology so forgive me if I’m stuck on the larger surface area inducing longer range vorticity misconception.

2 Likes

As far as fakes go, this one really depressed me when I learned the horrible truth. :frowning:

2 Likes

was that real? or shopped?

if real, holy sh*t is that guy stupid!

1 Like

Apparently 'shopped. :slightly_frowning_face:

I’ve only even been close to smallish ones, being in Connecticut. Saw one right outside my window at work. When the trees (probably 3 or 4 stories high) started to bend at 90 degrees, I thought it might be prudent to step back from the windows.

The other one was that one in Hamden that wiped out a ton of trees around Sleeping Giant state park… I was high up in an office building in New Haven, so pretty far from it… but the storm was pretty intense.

Nothing close to this, though… watching this really triggered my anxiety.

1 Like

One thing that you get from living even at the northeast end of Tornado Alley is a keen appreciation of the shades of green that the sky can turn.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.