Don't Press My Whorl: a hairy superstition in Japan

Hah. Yeah. I was told by one hairdresser when I was a teen that I had five. She made a big deal out of it. The same lady also told me that she knew women who would kill to have hair like mine… That’s what you need to be telling a sexually confused thirteen-year-old boy. Thanks so much.

What it meant for me was that they never cooperated and my hair stuck out no matter how much I tried to fix it. As I’ve aged, two were lost to my receding hairline. Good riddance, you bastards!

5 Likes

I’m not familiar with Japanese etymology but I’m guessing it may share a common root with “tsunami”?

Mine are all in back on top, like a line of whorls, and it just means that I always have “bed hair”…

3 Likes

I was also told that I had a double crown. The crown of one’s hair is the (UK) English equivalent of the Japanese whorl, I believe.

2 Likes

I haven’t read that, but my son owns it. I hear it’s good.

1 Like

Called a cowlick here in Ontario as well.

2 Likes

Somehow I just didn’t see that…

So, betting I can identify to the Australian Air Security people as a gastromathematician and get some kind of weird pass…that only goes to Surrey or Tasmania.

4 Likes

Leia, Is that you?

(ETA quote… always forgetting to do that!!!)

3 Likes

Hong Kong has another er, thing, on these. If a child has what I guess is called a double whorl, if you look some people have a single point of spiral, some people have a double centre, that child is supposed to be more mischievous.

I wouldn’t say good, but if I have a bad case of constipation a round of diarrehea at least solves that problem,…

1 Like

Typically we use the term cowlick to refer to hair that grows in a vertical fashion or opposite direction as the hair surrounding it. Typically at the front or rear hairline. A rooster tail is similar except it is usually focused on the hair on your crown (where all your hair parts from on top of your head). And a whorl is just an area of hair that spirals, good or bad. At least that’s how everyone I know defines them

1 Like

3 Likes

I had friends that had two whorls on the crown of their head, wonder how common that is

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.