DoorDash data breach: 4.9 million customers, workers, and merchants' info stolen

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/26/doordash-data-breach-4-9-mill.html

1 Like

com-gif-to-mp4

8 Likes

Just drive to the frackin’ restaurant.

2 Likes

Or use the plain old telephone and call the restaurant. It works.

3 Likes

What’s the number again? If you use Google and pick a search result, you’re just as likely to get a ‘lead’ number instead of the actual restaurant’s number, and end up costing the restaurant $$$ on that order.

2 Likes

Solution: don’t use Google. Use the old yellow pages https://www.paginegialle.it/ https://www.thephonebook.bt.com/ https://www.pagesjaunes.fr/, even in dead tree format, or collect business cards.

2 Likes

I usually check with friends who have similar taste in restaurants that I have and ask them for recommendations. It’s a one-minute phone call and I get to avoid crappy results and/or crappy food. If you are in a new large-ish town, consider calling a hotel and ask their concierge for a recommendation.

When I am in the vicinity, I will pick up a paper menu at a restaurant, if possible, or their business card. I realize that this can escalate operating costs for their business.

Some restaurants offer digital menus. If I can, I call them to find out where. Like, on the phone. Yes.

If not, I at least see if the restaurant has its own web site. The small, interesting mom-and-pop places often do not, and barely show up on Facebook.

Sometimes I use the map function on Google for “Chinese restaurants near me” etc. but I think the restaurants must be web savvy to nail down their Google presence, and some very good restaurants (usually the smallest ones) simply don’t have that kind of digital-native talent and time, commonly.

I avoid Yelp.

ETA: grammar

2 Likes

They should just say, “Don’t worry. Equifax already leaked your most important information. The only new info the hackers got was that you like ketchup on your hot dogs.”

To be clear, all data breaches suck and I’m glad I’m not a DoorDash customer. But the mother of them all (to date) hasn’t had to fix it. They’re even trying to weasel out of their payments by requiring you to prove you have credit monitoring in order to qualify after all, rather than taking on their credit protection service for 4 years (which in my opinion should be required by the government to be provided free for life in addition to payouts if they want to stay in business, since they fucked up so bad):

Equifax Breach Settlement Administrator

Your Claim Number: XXXXXXXXXX

According to our records, you filed a claim for alternative compensation of up to $125 in connection with the Equifax data breach settlement and certified on the claim form that you had some form of credit monitoring or protection in place and will continue to have the credit monitoring in place for a minimum of six months from the date of your claim filing.
You must either verify or amend your claim by October 15, 2019.

If you do not, your claim for alternative compensation will be denied.

• To verify your claim for alternative compensation, you must provide the name of your credit monitoring service that you had in place when you filed your claim.
- OR -
• You can amend your claim to request free credit monitoring instead of alternative compensation.

The easiest way to verify or amend your claim is by visiting the official Settlement Website here.

The amount you receive in connection with your alternative compensation claim may be significantly reduced depending on how many valid claims are ultimately submitted by other class members for this relief. Based on the number of potentially valid claims that have been submitted to date, payments of these benefits likely will be substantially lowered and will be distributed on a proportional basis if the settlement becomes final. Depending on the number of valid claims that are filed, the amount you receive for alternative compensation may be a small percentage of your initial claim.

Please note that if you do not take action by October 15, 2019, your claim for alternative compensation will be denied.

You can also verify or amend your claim by sending us a letter stating either the name of the credit monitoring service you had in place when you filed your claim or that you wish to amend your claim to select credit monitoring instead. Please include your full name, claim number from the top of this email, and zip code to the address below:

In re Equifax Data Breach Settlement
c/o JND Legal Administration
PO Box 91318
Seattle, WA 98111-9418

2 Likes

No, most restaurants don’t deliver anymore (exception - pizza). It’s just so much easier and cheaper to work with these apps and not hire people.

1 Like

I usually don’t order from restaurants I haven’t physically seen. When I have, it’s because I just want some damn food and don’t care about the quality.

Another exception: Chinese.

I hear you.
Sometimes to cut out the middleman I’ll just go to any nearby grocery and get a frozen entree.

I have gotten incredibly sick a few times on Indian food (one was takeout and one was a posh buffet), and one incident was here in Austin (not even while traveling). I probably shoulda known better. So caring about quality is for me a twitchy after-effect of food poisoning. May it never ever happen to you!

Yes!

1 Like

Some groceries here, most are mom and pop franchise, could make you for a small extra, a bag with the food you order by phone or with an app and take directly the bag.
The ones near my house are selling fresh entrees, by the way. http://www.barcandiano.it/barcandiano.it/Supermercato_files/DSC_0006-filtered.jpg

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.