Doris Day, 1922-2019

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/13/doris-day-1922-2019.html

8 Likes

:notes: When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother, what will I be
Will I be pretty
Will I be rich
Here’s what she said to me
:notes:

“Yep! Also famous and beloved by millions.”

21 Likes

Que sera, sera…

Edit: @Brainspore beat me to it.

9 Likes

Her role in “The Man Who Knew Too Much” is a particular favourite of mine. Another great talent gone, but it sounds like she had a truly fulfilling life.

13 Likes

She was good to dogs.
That’s all that needs to be said.

11 Likes

Sigh.

7 Likes

Thanks Doris - you’re singing brought a lot of joy to my mom.

5 Likes

aptain

Brainspore

3h

Her role in “The Man Who Knew Too Much ” is a particular favourite of mine.

Yeah, she sings so loud to save the day that you can practically see her tonsils!

3 Likes

On our local news show this morning the anchor read an appreciation of Doris
Day and ended by saying ‘One of her biggest hits was Que Sarah Sarah.’

5 Likes

I love this pic of her, too.

10 Likes
5 Likes

It’s also notable that Doris never turned her back on Rock Hudson when he contracted AIDS during the height of the panic of the 80s. That’s a true friend right there.

“I hardly knew him,” said Day. “He was very sick. But I just brushed that off and I came out and put my arms around him and said ‘Am I glad to see you.’”

Day shared his last visit broke her heart.

“He’d get very tired,” said Day. “I’d bring him his lunch and fix him a big platter but he couldn’t eat it. I’d say, ‘What if I get a fork and feed you?’ But he said ‘Doris I can’t eat.’

“They had a small plane to get him to the airport. We kissed goodbye and he gave me a big hug and he held onto me. I was in tears. That was the last time I saw him — but he’s in heaven now.”

14 Likes

I’m pretty sure that involves Photoshop.

She got a lot of attention for wearing it, so I’m pretty sure it’s the real deal. (If you Google, you’ll find articles about Morissey trying to sell a similar shirt as merch, and people accusing him of copying Day)

1 Like

I confess to feeling nothing about her, but I know she meant a lot to my parents and I’m really quite sad for them.

That shirt looks like a rebuttal to the National Lampoon “buy this magazine or the dog gets it” cover.

3 Likes

A bit of movie trivia. Doris Day was offered the role of Mrs.Robinson in the 1967 film “The Graduate” but turned it down because she found it “vulgar and offensive”. Can’t imagine her as Mrs.Robinson…

1 Like

I forget who said it, but the line I loved about Day, who made her rep and fortune with anodyne, sterile performances was: “I remember Doris before she became a virgin.”
Really, any obit who doesn’t run the quote is incomplete at best.
(Instant update: I tracked down the quote: Oscar Levant. [http://www.quotes-positive.com/quote/remember-doris-day-before-virgin-64/])

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.