Dottori-kun: the basic, disposable games that came with Japanese arcade cabinets to comply with regulations

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/22/dottori-kun-the-basic-disposable-games-that-came-with-japanese-arcade-cabinets-to-comply-with-regulations.html

6 Likes

The Sega Master system came with a game (Snail Maze) on its BIOS. If you didn’t insert a cartridge, you could activate it by pressing UP, 1, and 2 simultaneously.

6 Likes

That little game was one of the few things that made the Master System seem better than the NES at the time. I loved my Master System so much, but it just didn’t have games that were anywhere near as fun or cool (at least not to my 6 year-old self).

2 Likes

Like Songs of Innocence, but easier to get rid of.

1 Like

Wrong album, but the joke is good.

2 Likes

I had the one with Alex Kidd built in, so I never played that.

1 Like

Nerdy adolescent me picked the Master System over the NES because its hardware had better specs, not at all considering the difference in quantity and quality of games. But I still had a lot of fun with it.

1 Like

Well, there was a missed opportunity to make Atari’s E.T. The Extraterrestrial video game one of the top-selling games of all time. :crazy_face:

And I liked the original Head On so I probably would have dropped a few quarters in to play Dottori-kun.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

I loved my Master System, but I was 6 and very aware of the fact that all my friends had an NES and played Mario. It kind of bummed me out that I couldn’t play the same games.

Not impressive for 1990, but most coin-ops in 1983 ran with that. (Plus separate video hardware, and another processor to run the sound chips.)

The wonderful asterisk of a solid 15 years of z80 and 86000 hardware.

Later revisions again had Sonic the Hedgehog included!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.