The Sega Mega Drive Mini 2 has a stacked library of games

Originally published at: The Sega Mega Drive Mini 2 has a stacked library of games | Boing Boing

1 Like

I take extreme issue with this claim that SEGA better captured the 90’s zeitgeist. Sonic was the same game 3 times in a row. The entire SEGA library was that and Joe Montana Sports Talk Football, plus a billion other boring sports games. The controller was for babies, with an appalling lack of buttons and/or purple. You couldn’t even play Street Fighter on it! How do you expect that to compete with Zelda? Metroid? Donkey Kong Country? You and I must have had different zeitgeists.

Nintendo 4 life. Sega sucks.

2 Likes

Would it have been too much trouble to list the included games? I’m not watching that video.

Here is the list of 23 confirmed games by the way:

Sonic CD (Sega CD)
Shining Force CD (Sega CD)
Slipheed (Sega CD)
Mansion of Hidden Souls (Sega CD)
Night Striker (Sega CD)
Ninha Wariors (Sega CD)
Afterburner II (Sega Genesis)
OutRun (Sega Genesis)
OutRunners (Sega Genesis)
Virtua Racing (Sega Genesis)
Vectorman 2 (Sega Genesis)
The Ooze (Sega Genesis)
Bonanza Brothers (Sega Genesis)
Alien Soldier (Mega Drive)
Rainbow Islands Extra (Sega Genesis)
Splatterhouse 2 (Sega Genesis)
Rolling Thunder 2 (Sega Genesis)
Lightening Force (Sega Genesis)
Fantasy Zone (Sega Genesis)
Star Mobile (Sega Genesis)

9 Likes

Thank you! This saved a lot of time for me to know that it doesn’t include the games that my 9yo geeklet loves so much (Streets of Rage 2, anyone?).

1 Like

there were quite a few more in the video… (I’m not gonna rewatch to jot them all down though)

Thank you. Presenting a list like this in a video is the social media equivalent of making an email into a meeting.

3 Likes

But if there’s anything that consumers like more than viral listicles it’s pivot-to-video!

Nintendo, retrospectively, is a much BETTER system- when it comes to hardware. Also, Nintendo has always been an extremely innovative on a game design front however, Sega characters were all just “90’s cool.”

Do they feel like Poochie in hindsight? Sure, but lest we forget, Poochie is a parody of the type of characters that Sonic inspired.

Again, I’ll concede Nintendo is a better company, system, and developer, but Sega was the ethos of the 90s personified.

2 Likes

I think the list here is complete and up-to-date?

Kind of dreary, frankly. There’s lots of stuff there that is already available in other perfectly-accessible forms. Now, if it had something like Lunar: Silver Star Story or Snatcher, that would be a different matter.

I guess Crusader of Centy counts for something? And lots of people like Herzog Zwei.

Streets of Rage 2 is available in the original version Sega Genesis Mini.

Unfortunately, I don’t think you’ll still be able to find one to purchase at anywhere close to original price ($80).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.