Dover edition of Edwin Abbott Abbott's Flatland (1884)

That makes perfect sense.

Selling it as an e-book? Not so much.

But as I said, this one is actually nicely done and I can see actual effort has been put in to create their new edition.

There are however lots of dodgy sellers who just rip the text from PG and stick a
shoddy wrapper on it, upload it to Amazon and wait for $$$ to roll in.

This is an interesting example of Amazon itself doing it:

including reviews which are actually for completely different editions of Dracula, the film, audiobook versions, etc. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I remember discussing this book in high school math class in the early 1980s… I have referred to it plenty when discussing multiple dimensions but remember so few details that I’m sure I’d benefit from reading it again now.

There are two kinds of people: those who are interested in math, and those who don’t yet know they are interested in math (juuust kidding). But yeah, the phrase “required reading” makes me a little uncomfortable.

1 Like

I was introduced to Flatland by Carl Sagan in Cosmos: A Personal Voyage back in 1980. Here’s the specific part of that specific episode: https://youtu.be/N7K5KjOdLD8

Then, in the mid-90s, while visiting Maine, I found a reprint by One World Publications (which included all the original illustrations), the back cover says $7.95 USD, which is probably what I paid.

This is one of those books that I read about once a year.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.