Down Among the Sticks and Bones: return to the world of Every Heart a Doorway, where gender and peril collide

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/13/gender-is-the-meanest-fairytal.html

Seanan McGuire’s 2016 novella Every Heart a Doorway was a mean, beautiful, hopeful fairy tale about a boarding school for kids who once opened a door into a magical world, only to return to mundane our earth broken and sorrowing. In Down Among the Sticks and Bones, a prequel published today, McGuire sharpens the tip of her literary spear to a lethal point, telling the tale of Jacqueline and Jillian, twins who opened a door and found themselves upon a moor where they were apprenticed to a vampire and a mad scientist.

1 Like

The first book was pretty good. I thought it actually deserved to be a bit more fleshed out into a novel rather than running short as a novella.

I’d be happy to see more frequent iterations of these tales, though. It was a surprisingly interesting and compelling setting.

1 Like

She’s already announced a third one coming, Beneath the Sugar Sky, though according to Amazon it won’t be out until January.

I felt the same way, and was happy to hear her say it’s a trilogy (at least).
I’m charmed by her worlds (and horrrified by the other her’s* worlds.)

*like Mira Grant’s zombies

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.